Beware purchasing jewelry from on-board ship stores!

Threesun

On 8/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, laudergayle said:

My DH laughs at me when I get super excited about the faux jewelry (read: cheap date) …like the 1 for $25 or 2 for $40 rings.  While I have very nice jewelry, I am too lazy to take it out of the safe.  And, I don’t like to travel with items that could be lost, stolen or left behind.  So these cheapies make me smile and remind me of different cruises.😊

Me too!  I see no reason to have expensive stuff. 

Also, I don't think I'd pay the $$$$$ to buy jewelry on a ship.  If I had a problem it would be a pain in the $ss to take care of.  I can just go to the jewelry store in the town next to us and they sell anything I would want. If there is a problem I just make the 45 minute drive and it gets handled

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:01 PM, complawyer said:

hey magnolia blossum, if the t-shirt is a maybe, simply bring along an extra tube of toothpaste, and then you need not buy anything. and mocruisefan, most cruise sites advise "NOT" to but any art. biggest ripoff imaginable

I’m a pretty good packer, and always have a spare toothbrush that “lives” in my suitcase, but if I’m going to forget something it’s gonna be toothpaste.  But it’s not a common occurrence and I probably haven’t spent a dime in any onboard store in years.

in that case, mag, if we're ever on a cruise together, and youve forgotten, please feel free to to ask to borrow ours. also, the only things i might buy are the t-shirts when they go on sail at the end of the cruise. i usually dont bother to wear them when i get home, so they become dust rags, so i would be more than happy to give you one that i bought onboard. sort of a farewell parting gift,

regardless, whenever or wherever you choose to cruise, have a marvelous time, and of course  "bon voyage"

On 8/3/2023 at 1:43 AM, LibertyBella said:

Oh well, I am a jewelry lover and I have to look in every store on the ships.  Since I know a lot about diamond quality, precious stones, and settings, prices, and designers, I am probably not the best customer for the stores.  

I have a great Effy collection, bought many years ago from diverse locations, including the Nassau store.  I bought a few fantastic  pieces when Lord & Taylor went out of business, and sold everything 85% off.

Nowadays Effy jewelry uses a LOT of single cut diamonds, and the gold weight has decreased significantly.  They also treat a lot of their precious stones.  I would not even bother getting most of that jewelry appraised--buy it because you like it and you want to wear it, not because you think it is any kind of investment.

The Cunard QM2 has a Roberto Coin store! But I can buy Roberto Coin at Saks, or Bloomies, or NM, and get a discount (sales a few times a year), and get award points on my store credit card.

I have never bought anything from DI (overpriced, but pretty).  I bought a small Colombian emerald necklace from Emeralds International when they used to exist (great green stone)!

I also think Tiffany's is overpriced, especially the silver (just paying for the name).  The best bargains used to be in the diamond districts here in Philly or NYC. 

Finally,  I have also lost stones set in channel settings--perhaps they were not shaped and placed well, or you bumped the ring and loosened the  diamonds. I usually prefer thick, strong multiple prongs or bezels for security. 

Nowadays I mainly window shop, but I will always be a jewelry lover (and every once in a while, shopper.)

I am so sorry your special purchase was disappointing!

If you buy di and it breaks you can bring it to dismons i t i. Ny.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:43 PM, Grandmafreddie said:

If you buy di and it breaks you can bring it to dismons i t i. Ny.

With respect, proofreading is your friend. 

If you buy a diamond, and it breaks, it's not worth bringing anywhere.