New breed of cruiser

JGB

11 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I think some of us have more trouble being "in the moment." I'm chronically thinking ahead, which can strip enjoyment from the present.

The other part of this for some people is by focusing on the present the cruise seems longer. I know this is true of us, if we are thinking of the next day we're missing out on today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, balcony bound said:

Last day all he wants to do is go home, can't get off the ship quick enough.  I've never figured out why - still lots to do and a good time. 

My husband is even worse  BEFORE WE EVEN LEAVE for our cruise he is talking about what "chores" we need to handle when we get back.  What ?????     The last cruise day for him is useless.  Total buzz kill !!   😠

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:49 AM, JGB said:

Apparently there may be a new breed of cruiser. Back in the day there were frequent posts “doc dance”. This was when one received their documents in the mail. Then when the internet became the form of communication the doc dance celebration transformed into “single digits” in the countdown to cruise day. Now I see none of the above, I am sure people are just as excited but are somehow expressing it differently.

jgb

10 days till cruise day 

I may sound like an old fogey, but there is (was) a greater sense of excitement from receiving documents and real luggage tags in the mail compared to a  PDF file on my device.

Well you've lost the sense of anticipation of getting something you have zero control over. You know, the thousands of unlikeliest of things that "might" happen, like the cruise line not mailing it, or it getting lost in the mail, or the neighbor's dog eating it. Anyway, there is the sense of relief and happiness when you get something like that. It kinda reminds me of waiting for COVID results. You bet I did a dance when they came back negative! 

We keep a countdown on a little fridge whiteboard. It may not be a dance, but there's definitely a small thrill everyday I get to update the # to one day less. By the time we get to single digits though, it's less of a celebration and more of a oh shoot stress preparation. Laundry, packing, tying up loose ends at work, checking in for flights and OMG what did I forget to buy? 

Edited by carohs
  • Like 1