New breed of cruiser

JGB

Apparently there may be a new breed of cruiser. Back in the day there were frequent posts “doc dance”. This was when one received their documents in the mail. Then when the internet became the form of communication the doc dance celebration transformed into “single digits” in the countdown to cruise day. Now I see none of the above, I am sure people are just as excited but are somehow expressing it differently.

jgb

10 days till cruise day 

• Like 1

I think during the COVID hiatus people forgot about doing the dance. I know that I did on the three cruises that we've taken since restart, with the last one being in April. Most definitely would have posted about it but simply forgot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JGB said:

Apparently there may be a new breed of cruiser. Back in the day there were frequent posts “doc dance”. This was when one received their documents in the mail. Then when the internet became the form of communication the doc dance celebration transformed into “single digits” in the countdown to cruise day. Now I see none of the above, I am sure people are just as excited but are somehow expressing it differently.

jgb

10 days till cruise day 

I’m boarding the Vista on Saturday and CAN NOT WAIT!!! Havana Cabana!! 💃 

• Like 7

Not to be a cynic, but perhaps part of the reason you may not see as many "single day dances" or the like is because as time goes on, cruisers (especially those who post a lot on CC) get more cruises under their belt, and it isn't quite as big of a deal to them anymore.

Or maybe there are more cruisers like me who mainly use CC to distribute or learn useful information.  If I am going on a Carnival cruise, other people should assume that I am looking forward to it.  😃

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Prior to the COVID Cruise Critic CCL forum had many more followers.  I recall somewhere between 1,300 to 1,500 followers on any given day, I missed the activity on this forum.  Today, 361 followers and fewer roll calls, etc.  

Edited by JMAE

43 minutes ago, JMAE said:

Prior to the COVID Cruise Critic CCL forum had many more followers.  I recall somewhere between 1,300 to 1,500 followers on any given day, I missed the activity on this forum.  Today, 361 followers and fewer roll calls, etc.  

I agree. Used to be you'd gone 4 hours and come back and there were so many new post a lot of the previous post 4 hours ago would be on page 2. Now I come back 4 hours later and there might be 6 new post. 

• Like 4

I’ve been on CC for at least a century (well, maybe not that long) and I had forgotten the doc dance.  It was always a cause to grin when someone posted that.  And I do remember doing it around my kitchen island when I opened my mail.  But I guess it changed with the e docs.  It’s not quite the same emotional event when your printer spits out your docs and luggage tags, as when they fall into your hands from a cruise line envelope.  Big sigh.  Maybe we’re all jaded now and the social isolation of the lock down has made us socially more absent, and maybe younger/newer posters are on various social media and us dinosaurs are left here in civil conversation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember doing the doc dance and miss those days! There was something super special about getting a big, thick envelope from Carnival filled with your cruise papers!

I still try to capture the magic by occasionally checking how many days out I originally booked the cruise compared to the current number of days to go. Fortunately, and most excitingly, the number always goes down! 😊

Examples:

Carnival Magic 12/2-12/10/23 Booked at 388 days. Now at 121 days!

Carnival Horizon 4/27- 5/5/24 Booked at 784 days (!). Now at 268 days!

I've already started packing for the December 2023 cruise! 🤣

Happy Cruising!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JMAE said:

It's not just Cruise Critic, it's forums in general, sans reddit. Forums were a big thing back in the 90's and '00s. I have administered many forums over the years and have seen them all fade away into antiquity. They are just becoming a thing of the past. Everything has moved to various social media outlets over the past 10'ish years.

• Like 5

Kanyon 71 I LOVE everything about cruising except for the last day at sea. For some reason , which I have never been able to understand I am melancholy. It is the oddest thing, I wake up and after breakfast and a second cup of joe I am sad and just wish I was home. Weird I know but there it is.

JGB

9 days and definitely counting!! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JGB said:

Kanyon 71 I LOVE everything about cruising except for the last day at sea. For some reason , which I have never been able to understand I am melancholy. It is the oddest thing, I wake up and after breakfast and a second cup of joe I am sad and just wish I was home. Weird I know but there it is.

JGB

It could be a couple of reasons...

- Last day... you need to start packing up to leave

- Do you have a flight... need to check in for the flight

- Depending on the type of traveler you are maybe you start to fret navigating through airport security... not a pleasant experience for some

- Did you drive to the port and are not looking forward to the drive home.. particularly if it is a long drive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JGB said:

JGB

My husband is like that.  Last day all he wants to do is go home, can't get off the ship quick enough.  I've never figured out why - still lots to do and a good time.  Doesn't matter the length of the cruise LOL

• Like 2