New breed of cruiser

JGB

On 8/2/2023 at 5:38 PM, JMAE said:

Prior to the COVID Cruise Critic CCL forum had many more followers.  I recall somewhere between 1,300 to 1,500 followers on any given day

Do you and others on this thread remember when CC allowed cruise groups to post on the main Carnival forum? There were so many groups with names like: " Cruising with the Crazies" etc. you had to weed them out before you could find the regular Carnival related threads. Often more than half of the first page were group threads.

People in groups would chat with each other about nothing cruise related just to keep bumping their group page to keep it on the first page in the hope more people would join the group and book the same sailing with them.

Typical bump comments from all the Cruise Crazies groups were:

1. Having spaghetti tonight

2. Seinfeld was good last night.

3. It's raining in Texas.

4. I may change the color of my kitchen.

It was terrible, and yes the traffic is lighter here today but I still enjoy the live reviews and threads about all the new ships coming on line.

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

Do you and others on this thread remember when CC allowed cruise groups to post on the main Carnival forum? There were so many groups with names like: " Cruising with the Crazies" etc. you had to weed them out before you could find the regular Carnival related threads. Often more than half of the first page were group threads.

People in groups would chat with each other about nothing cruise related just to keep bumping their group page to keep it on the first page in the hope more people would join the group and book the same sailing with them.

Typical bump comments from all the Cruise Crazies groups were:

1. Having spaghetti tonight

2. Seinfeld was good last night.

3. It's raining in Texas.

4. I may change the color of my kitchen.

It was terrible, and yes the traffic is lighter here today but I still enjoy the live reviews and threads about all the new ships coming on line.

Those groups were moved to their own section of CC many years ago, long before COVID. It's the same section I believe where the Floataway Lounge is located.

22 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

It's not just Cruise Critic, it's forums in general, sans reddit. Forums were a big thing back in the 90's and '00s. I have administered many forums over the years and have seen them all fade away into antiquity. They are just becoming a thing of the past. Everything has moved to various social media outlets over the past 10'ish years.

I wish this forum was available on social media so I could view it with the cheap wifi plan on the ship.....

22 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

23 hours ago, JGB said:

Kanyon 71 I LOVE everything about cruising except for the last day at sea. For some reason , which I have never been able to understand I am melancholy. It is the oddest thing, I wake up and after breakfast and a second cup of joe I am sad and just wish I was home. Weird I know but there it is.

JGB

9 days and definitely counting!! 

I think it's the whole knowing it's over and if it's over then you may as well be back home. That whole it's only downhill from this point type of thing. One of these years my wife and I want to do a B2B, would be interesting on the last day of the first one to see if we feel the same way or not. 🙂

Edited by Kanyon71
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, JGB said:

I LOVE everything about cruising except for the last day at sea. For some reason , which I have never been able to understand I am melancholy. It is the oddest thing, I wake up and after breakfast and a second cup of joe I am sad and just wish I was home. Weird I know but there it is.

I think this is true of all vacations... perhaps the exception are weekend-warrior vacations.

We even get this feeling in the middle of a vacation... when family meets up with us for a couple days during the middle of our vacation, when they leave, we feel a bit down for a day.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, teknoge3k said:

It's not just Cruise Critic, it's forums in general, sans reddit. Forums were a big thing back in the 90's and '00s. I have administered many forums over the years and have seen them all fade away into antiquity. They are just becoming a thing of the past. Everything has moved to various social media outlets over the past 10'ish years.

My experience is that any forum that wasn't big enough to generate enough money to support itself (see all of USENET for example) - ended up as Facebook groups or subreddits.

...but forums and such ARE social media outlets, just like the places those things have moved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Those groups were moved to their own section of CC many years ago, long before COVID. It's the same section I believe where the Floataway Lounge is located.

Also, I think Roll Calls were used for this too.  

On 8/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, teknoge3k said:

Because Reddit is definitely not for the thin skinned CC regular.  Plus now people like to view rather than read.  

On a side note, I never heard of the DD.  

• Haha 1

I like topic specific forums because here I can post about cruising, and nobody cares what sports team I root for or who I voted for in the last election. On social media everyone knows everything about everybody.

I am 41 days out from my cruise, I know this because I looked it up yesterday and saw 42. I had forgotten about the Doc Dance, but now fondly remember getting that envelope on our first cruise.

• Like 4

I think it is about the timing.  You got the mail documents without notice and well before your cruise with no other cruise activities.  Now, we go online 14-16 days before our cruises while you are starting  all the precruise preparation.  

On 8/2/2023 at 11:49 AM, JGB said:

Apparently there may be a new breed of cruiser. Back in the day there were frequent posts “doc dance”. This was when one received their documents in the mail. Then when the internet became the form of communication the doc dance celebration transformed into “single digits” in the countdown to cruise day. Now I see none of the above, I am sure people are just as excited but are somehow expressing it differently.

jgb

10 days till cruise day 

yes times are a changing.

Why for my Princess cruise in a month to Alaska, one could not even select dining option until full payment.  Also they do not have boarding passes either.  Just show your bill and passport.

I wonder why they are all so worried about paper (which can be recycled) and yet all the electronics in the world do not have recyclable batteries.   hmmm find that odd. 

Also I find that everything has become a "figure it out yourself" and less instructions. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 1:01 PM, VIFP1987 said:

I’m boarding the Vista on Saturday and CAN NOT WAIT!!! Havana Cabana!! 💃 

Would you take a photo of actual view from perspective when you are sitting on your patio if you are staying in a Havana cabin? My husband wants to know how “unprivate it is” and if only looking at a metal wall. So I can state my case to him, and consider if senior parents would enjoy the area (or too noisy) and its restaurant. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, JGB said:

Kanyon 71 I LOVE everything about cruising except for the last day at sea. For some reason , which I have never been able to understand I am melancholy. It is the oddest thing, I wake up and after breakfast and a second cup of joe I am sad and just wish I was home. Weird I know but there it is.

JGB

9 days and definitely counting!! 

I think some of us have more trouble being "in the moment." I'm chronically thinking ahead, which can strip enjoyment from the present.

• Like 1