Maputo Port Information

sunset sails

We are booked on the 12 day South Africa Intensive in Feb 2023 and have been looking at walking tours in Maputo that are not ship excursions.  They seem to meet and begin at the Cathedral in the city. Does anyone know where Azamara docks in Maputo and how far that would be from the city center?  Is it walkable or would we need to take some type of transportation to get there. Thanks for any input!

8 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

We did a Maputo excursion that ended with buffet lunch at the Polana Serena hotel.  Best buffet we've experienced.

Sounds yum!  Apart from the buffet, was the excursion worth doing? I ask because we are considering getting pool passes for the morning at the Polana Serena and then having lunch.  I wonder whether you will see some of the sights on the way from the port to the hotel?

Based on what you did, what do you think? Thanks 😊 

3 hours ago, Werangels said:

Sounds yum!  Apart from the buffet, was the excursion worth doing? I ask because we are considering getting pool passes for the morning at the Polana Serena and then having lunch.  I wonder whether you will see some of the sights on the way from the port to the hotel?

Based on what you did, what do you think? Thanks 😊 

Really not much in the way of "sights" in Maputo.  You do get a sense of the abject poverty in Mozambique.  Pool and lunch is probably a good plan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Really not much in the way of "sights" in Maputo.  You do get a sense of the abject poverty in Mozambique.  Pool and lunch is probably a good plan.

Thanks very much.  I imagine we will see the train station, etc on the way there.  I am talking to the hotel for prices.  

• 2 weeks later...

Did the Africa intensive in February which stopped in Maputo.  We did a walking tour offered by the ship.  We enjoyed the tour, but I’m not sure I would have done a walk around by myself.  I wouldn’t have felt safe at this port.

• Like 1

Since our time in Maputo is so short (8-15:00) we thought it best to book a private tour with a vehicle so we could make our way to the train station, Natural History Museum, the Fortress, the markets, etc. with lunch likely on the run.