Silver Nova. Lisbon to Lisbon. September 2023

DC69

This cruise was originally scheduled to travel from Lisbon to the Azores and Cape Verde with several other stops.it was suddenly changed on 17 March 2023 to go from Lisbon and then around the Spanish coast, Balearic Islands and North Africa. Today have been told by Silversea that one of the destinations, Port Mahon. Menorca is cancelled and now going to the ‘highly rated’ destination of Sete. Yet another mess. What is happening to Silversea. They don’t seem to be able to get anything right. Not looking forward to this cruise at all. It is beset with problems and the ship has not yet been proven. Think Silversea needs to do a lot of inward thinking and really research their destinations and vastly improve customer relations. It is enormously difficult to be able to connect or contact one’s‘special consultant’. Also they must begin to be a lot more helpful with flight arrangements. Unfortunately they use BA and they being one of the worst airlines make it hugely difficult for the passenger to secure any seating arrangements and if needed special dietary needs. Silversea will not help the passenger in any shape or form with flights. Maybe it’s time to say ‘goodbye’ to Silversea. They used to be spot on, but recent experience is so very different. Once the customer has made a booking they do not give the impression that they want to communicate with you any further. Very poor customer service. Think they have a real problem.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  It would help to understand special circumstances that may affect your experience if you indicated your Location in your CC profile.  Even 'UK' would make this post clearer, especially as regards Silversea's use of BA as an air carrier.

A lot of cruisers are worn out on the same old port stops. Silversea is trying to find new places to visit. It's not an easy job, due to lots of moving parts. So if the itinerary is not right for you, then don't go. Wait till you find an itinerary you like. Also if you don't like the airline they contract with, then use your own airline. So it doesn't sound like it's all the vendors falt... 

Unfortunately Silversea can change ports whenever they want. I love anywhere in France but I found the port of Sete uninspiring. There are, however, some interesting excursions. I would recommend Pezenas if you have already visited Carcassonne.

agree with you on the office service level being poor but it is still excellent on board. I have sailed with Silversea for over twenty years but I have booked a Crystal cruise for next year. The two Crystal ships are co-owned by the former owner of Silversea. The turning point for me came when they switched from business class flights to economy. Meanwhile, from newspaper ads, I could see they were selling to discounters at least £2300 less than regular passengers on a nine day cruise.

I surmise that the various changes are being made to recoup some of the losses during Covid.

good luck.

10 hours ago, DC69 said:

This cruise was originally scheduled to travel from Lisbon to the Azores and Cape Verde with several other stops.it was suddenly changed on 17 March 2023 to go from Lisbon and then around the Spanish coast, Balearic Islands and North Africa. Today have been told by Silversea that one of the destinations, Port Mahon. Menorca is cancelled and now going to the ‘highly rated’ destination of Sete. Yet another mess. What is happening to Silversea. They don’t seem to be able to get anything right. Not looking forward to this cruise at all. It is beset with problems and the ship has not yet been proven. Think Silversea needs to do a lot of inward thinking and really research their destinations and vastly improve customer relations. It is enormously difficult to be able to connect or contact one’s‘special consultant’. Also they must begin to be a lot more helpful with flight arrangements. Unfortunately they use BA and they being one of the worst airlines make it hugely difficult for the passenger to secure any seating arrangements and if needed special dietary needs. Silversea will not help the passenger in any shape or form with flights. Maybe it’s time to say ‘goodbye’ to Silversea. They used to be spot on, but recent experience is so very different. Once the customer has made a booking they do not give the impression that they want to communicate with you any further. Very poor customer service. Think they have a real problem.

We are on this cruise too and I put a post on here on Friday alerting fellow cruisers to the change. You are "lucky" that you have been notified of the change. I have received no notification from Silversea of any of the changes. I found all of them by accident when logging in. This latest change not only impacts on Mahon/Sete but also on the following port of Palma where we do not arrive until 14.00. All the current excursions depart before 09.30 and many are 5,6 or 8 hours so for many this could become a "Sea Day"

7 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

A lot of cruisers are worn out on the same old port stops. Silversea is trying to find new places to visit. It's not an easy job, due to lots of moving parts. So if the itinerary is not right for you, then don't go. Wait till you find an itinerary you like. Also if you don't like the airline they contract with, then use your own airline. So it doesn't sound like it's all the vendors falt... 

I think you are missing the point. These changes are being made after final payment has been made so "not going" is expensive. We found an itinerary we liked but it has been changed dramatically since booking and paying. Are you happy to pay Silversea and let them tell you later where they are taking you? That is in effect what is happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wren2 said:

Unfortunately Silversea can change ports whenever they want. I love anywhere in France but I found the port of Sete uninspiring. There are, however, some interesting excursions. I would recommend Pezenas if you have already visited Carcassonne.

agree with you on the office service level being poor but it is still excellent on board. I have sailed with Silversea for over twenty years but I have booked a Crystal cruise for next year. The two Crystal ships are co-owned by the former owner of Silversea. The turning point for me came when they switched from business class flights to economy. Meanwhile, from newspaper ads, I could see they were selling to discounters at least £2300 less than regular passengers on a nine day cruise.

I surmise that the various changes are being made to recoup some of the losses during Covid.

good luck.

If they are trying to recoup their losses, and I suspect that may be part of it, making their loyal customers unhappy is not a very good way to go about it. There is even more competition out there now so I for one am happy to abandon Silversea.

Have used own airline in past but had lots of problems getting to the port due to volcanic eruptions which delayed all flights from where I was staying. Silversea were no help in this situation as they told me it was my responsibility to get myself to the port. Since then I have used Silversea for flights, transfer etc.. It’s then their responsibility to get me there

5 hours ago, John117 said:

If they are trying to recoup their losses, and I suspect that may be part of it, making their loyal customers unhappy is not a very good way to go about it. There is even more competition out there now so I for one am happy to abandon Silversea.

This comment applies to their erratic pricing policy too. After years of sailing Silversea in their top tier suites we have switched to Regent and are trying Crystal and Explora in 2024. Silversea have more than doubled the price of their Owners Suite and are now not competitive with their "lux" competitors.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:28 AM, John117 said:

We are on this cruise too and I put a post on here on Friday alerting fellow cruisers to the change. You are "lucky" that you have been notified of the change. I have received no notification from Silversea of any of the changes. I found all of them by accident when logging in. This latest change not only impacts on Mahon/Sete but also on the following port of Palma where we do not arrive until 14.00. All the current excursions depart before 09.30 and many are 5,6 or 8 hours so for many this could become a "Sea Day"

Have had further email telling me the Alhambra Excursion is off due to the EU holding a conference there. This was on the websites in February 2023 so why did Silversea offer this as an excursion? Not doing their homework. Also they really don’t care and have just fobbed it off. Another disaster. This cruise has become an expensive non event 

1. There is a live thread from Tucson Guy on Silver Nova, so you can get an idea if the ship is going to live up to the billing. 

2. I definitely hear you on frustrations relating to British Airways and flight and seat planning, as well as problems with accessing agents pre-cruise.  Sadly, too many "luxury" lines behave this way for various reasons.   They only get away with it 'because everyone else is doing it' and apparently there are enough willing travelers who don't care what airline or seat they are in, how tight connections are, and don't get anxious.   For years now we see the  same mess with many airlines, hotel chains, etc.  Too often we get  bad customer service overall, which does not match the steep prices. Once the post-Covid pent up demand for travel many have passes, it will be interesting to see if people continue to put up with it. 

3. I assume this is the cruise and itinerary on SS you are talking about:

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/lisbon-to-lisbon-sn230929017.html

Though I see many potentially decent options on the excursions, even out of Sete (not even counting DIY, though of course that would be for extra money) I would not be at all happy if I specifically wanted to go to the Azores and Cape Verde and were given this itinerary instead, even if the line has the legal right to change ports.  Have you been able to reach SS and ask for cancellation and FCC on a different cruise, to replace this, given the substantial and material itinerary change?

4. On longer cruises and/or if itinerary is critical, I tend to prepare with  "cancel for any reason" insurance, just in case a line won't be flexible and allow cancellation with FCC (among other reasons).    It is more expensive insurance , of course, but allows just what it says, even after final payment (of course there would be a lot of paperwork headache).  

I am not sure if it would have paid for missing a  cruise due to absence of flights as a result of volcanic activity .

I sincerely hope you can salvage some joy from this cruise, if you take it, and will report back to us about your decision and experience.  

Edited by Catlover54
Typo