Diamond Princess - Japan cruise

Californian

We're taking a cruise around Japan and I am wondering what foods we can bring back to the ship.

Can I bring back apples, pears, and persimmons back to the ship which will be in season when we go?

Apple pie bought in Aomori?

How about packaged castella cake that's been wrapped by the store?  Packaged castella cake that’s been opened?

Take out food from restaurants?

Foods bought from street vendors?

I’m guessing no on the last two, but not sure about the others.  TIA

You can bring back tangerines from Korea.  You can bring back Japanese Sponge Cake that is packaged.  You can bring dried scallops and abalone if you find it.  

You "should" be able to bring back food to the ship, but that would be very port specific.

The big question would be...can you take it off the ship when you leave.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JRice said:

Why bring back any food from shore ? 

Do you expect a shortage on board?

We know that there is plenty of food on board.  We are interested in trying the local foods — part of the fun of traveling to different destinations.  

I have brought back food on a few occasions, sometimes some strawberries if they are difficult to get onboard or a local treat such as really good croissants from Luna in Melbourne. Though I wouldn't be able to take these things off the ship of course.

I  haven't had any difficulty getting them onboard and the crew bring back crispy creme doughnuts etc all the time on Australian cruises.

Things may be different in Japan, just ask the right crew before you leave the ship what you can bring back on board.

3 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Things may be different in Japan, just ask the right crew before you leave the ship what you can bring back on board.

Great idea.  Thanks very much for the suggestion.  

Except for castella cake, we don’t expect to take unpackaged food off the ship.

This was with HAL, at Yokohama this year, but I brought back freshly baked bread, Baumkuchen, and other packaged food items with no issue. 

I actually embarked with a half suitcase full of all sorts of Japanese packaged food items to bring back home already anyway.

• Like 1