Holland cruise ports ?

Yyyy4

HI, we are taking a Holland cruise in mid May 2024. I have a questions about excursions when in port. I am assuming Juneau is good for whale watching and the Mendenhall Glacier? Skagway - White Pass? Ketchikan - not sure, kayaking?? Denali - flight seeing? Appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Yyyy4 said:

HI, we are taking a Holland cruise in mid May 2024. I have a questions about excursions when in port. I am assuming Juneau is good for whale watching and the Mendenhall Glacier? Skagway - White Pass? Ketchikan - not sure, kayaking?? Denali - flight seeing? Appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

Hello @Yyyy4 and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forumHowever, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance in using these message boards.  As stated at the top of the forum: 

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Alaska forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you are posting on the boards! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

To find your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you, you need to post on the specific Roll Call thread for your cruise. Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have the following Cruise Critic article you might enjoy8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread for your specific cruise line ship and sail date. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before.

The specific Roll Call thread for your cruise is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! 

Once you locate the Roll Call thread for your specific line, ship and sail date using the Roll Call Finder Tool at the top of your ship's Roll Calls forum if one is already created, read through the whole thread to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you. Use the blue Reply to this topic button to post an introductory post about yourself on the Roll Call. If you want to address a particular post already in the thread, be sure to use the Quote feature on that post as I did yours so all will be aware of what your post concerns. You type your reply UNDER the light blue quote box then click the blue Submit Reply button.

If a Roll Call thread for your specific ship & sail date has not been created, please feel free to start it! Then sit back and wait for your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you to join in with posts. They will appreciate you starting the Roll Call!

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

To be clear: "Denali" is not a port. In this case it's a stop that would be part of a land tour, or a "cruise tour". You do not need a "tour" to get to the Denali area. Once you disembark your ship in Whittier and get transferred to Anchorage, you can rent a car and drive yourself to the Denali National Park area.  

One hack I use is to go to the cruise website and look for their shore excursions.  Not through your booking, but on the website in general.  Check the port in question and see what the cruise line offers.   Since the cruise lines would only offer options that are popular, then you can find the most popular options.  Here is HAL's   https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/shore-excursions.html

You can then research options or tour companies that offer their service directly and not through the cruise line.   

Next google the port and excursions to see what pulls up.    They might have something that sounds interesting that the Cruise lines do not mention/offer.   

Once you have an idea of what you can do in a port, research what you want to do.  There are pros and cons to booking through the cruise line.  Pro:  The ship will not leave without you. Con:  Normally higher than obtaining directly.

This is where you get into the realm of deciding what you are comfortable with.  Do you want the guarantee of the ship not leaving and paying more, or maybe doing it yourself?  That is your call.

Another item is that on many of the Cruise Ship excursions, the group sizes are larger than some you can book directly.

An example is Juneau.  I want to do Whale Watching.  I have multiple options with HAL.   But most at a not horrible price start at 20 people and go up from there.   But then I look outside of HAL and I find a tour company (Harv & Marv) where I will be on a small boat with a max of 6 passengers.  

I think I want the 6 person option.   $175pp  Where the cheapest equivalent with HAL is a $189.95pp option that does not mention max capacity.  Only that it is a Catamaran.  So I am going to guess 60+ people.   That 20-person option is over $220.

There are so many options with Alaska, that I recommend you take your time to review.  I am still researching my options for my June 2024 Cruise.  I have an idea of what I want to do at each port, but there are still so many variations to go through.

For example:    For Skagway, you mention the White Pass Rail.   Something I am also doing.  But there are so many variations.

1)  Train up to Fraser and back.

2)  Train up to Fraser, bus back

3)  Train up to Fraser, bus up to Yukon Sign, Bus back

4)  Train up to Fraser, bus up to Emerald Lake, Bus Back.

5)  Train up to Bennet, bus to Emerald Lake, Bus back

These are just a few of the options I have found.  Initially, I was doing #1.  But now, I think it is either 4 or 5.   More than #1 but I think it is worth it for me since I like to take photos.

So I know I likely made your research even harder, but I think it is a good idea to research your options and what works for you.  You mention flightseeing.  Something out of my price range.  So it is not even on my radar.  Which could be something you can do and want to do and I would have never mentioned it.   So it is best for you to research all the options and go from there.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As a many-time visitor to Alaska on Holland America as well as a longtime hobby photographer, I recommend the following excursions for first-time visitors:

• Juneau - Tracy Arm has whales, glaciers, huge ice flows, sea lions, and amazing scenery.
  • Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishing with amazing eagle feeding pictures and demonstrating crab fishing techniques.
  • Skagway - Definitely dog sledding the snow
  • Denali - Fly Denali

Tracy Arm

image.jpeg.eded6136b286bfc35bbb99b0152822e9.jpeg

image.jpeg.5e249dbf5d444cea8f57a95df6d26089.jpeg

Ketchikan Crab Fishing

image.jpeg.f9bba5349367e5594484d1f544cc6282.jpeg

Skagway dog sledding

image.jpeg.5eaf36291ceb8fc6f7e89686e73a5fcf.jpeg

Fly Denali

image.jpeg.01c0c26934bb7424a98900a736754a27.jpeg

Edited by Crew News