Did my TA just pull a fast one? MNVV help please.

cakewalk73

4 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

This is for a voyage next week, so I would assume it would just be a $600 reduction off the fare?  Since full payment is due now.

No. It is a $300 fare reduction.  But it may feel like $600 because you have also  prepaid $300 toward the deposit.  If the fare now is $2,000, the fare you pay is $1,700. But also you have a $300 credit toward the deposit and get the $600 OBC.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 1

Just now, Gretchendz said:

No. It is a $300 fare reduction.  But it may feel like $600 because you have prepaid $300 toward the deposit.  If the fare now is $2,000, the fare you pay is $1,700. But also you have a $300 credit toward the deposit and get the $600 OBC.

Sorry, I'm confused.

So if the fare is $1000. 

I've already paid $300 for the MNVV.  Then I get $300 off the fare. 

So I would only be paying $400 additional (beyond what I already put down) for the cruise, correct?

$400 paid now

$300 paid previously on the cruise

$300 discount

=$1000

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singleflyer said:

Wow, is this correct?

So by doing MNVV, you actually get NO discount off the fare?  

I'm paid $300 while on board for my MNVV.  So I don't get any discount on the cruise fare?  It is just a $300 deposit with $600 Sailor Loot?

So the only benefit of MNVV is $600 Sailor Loot?

Not true.  You get $300 off your cruise fare.  The $300 you pay for the MNVV can be used for deposit, and you get $600 Loot.

Example....You buy MNVV for $300.  You book a cruise that has a price of $4000.  Your cruise price is immediately discounted to $3700 ($300 off) and that makes your deposit $740 (20% of $3700).  The $300 is applied to the deposit, meaning that you would pay $440 at the time of booking or $3400 if you wanted to pay in full at that time ($3400 + the $300 paid for the certificate = $3700)

SO the benefit of the certificate is $300 off cruise fare + $600 loot.  I don't know if the 10% PIF still applies.  If it does and you opt to PIF, your cruise fare would discount another $370.  Note, price percentage reductions do not apply to taxes.

Similarly, in your example above, you are correct.  $300 paid for MNVV, $300 discount, $400 paid at time of booking = $1000 AND you'd get $600 loot.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Not true.  You get $300 off your cruise fare.  The $300 you pay for the MNVV can be used for deposit, and you get $600 Loot.

Example....You buy MNVV for $300.  You book a cruise that has a price of $4000.  Your cruise price is immediately discounted to $3700 ($300 off) and that makes your deposit $740 (20% of $3700).  The $300 is applied to the deposit, meaning that you would pay $440 at the time of booking or $3400 if you wanted to pay in full at that time ($3400 + the $300 paid for the certificate = $3700)

SO the benefit of the certificate is $300 off cruise fare + $600 loot.  I don't know if the 10% PIF still applies.  If it does and you opt to PIF, your cruise fare would discount another $370.  Note, price percentage reductions do not apply to taxes.

Similarly, in your example above, you are correct.  $300 paid for MNVV, $300 discount, $400 paid at time of booking = $1000 AND you'd get $600 loot.

Thank you!  I'm just surprised that the TWO VV phone reps couldn't figure this out...

2 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

Thank you!  I'm just surprised that the TWO VV phone reps couldn't figure this out...

They are idiots.  That's why I use a Gold Tier travel agent.  And my agent sends me a screen shot of her accounting and any perks I am supposed to have "just in case."

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cantgetin said:

And the 10% paid in full discount was recently discontinued.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:10 PM, singleflyer said:

Wow, is this correct?

So by doing MNVV, you actually get NO discount off the fare?  

I'm paid $300 while on board for my MNVV.  So I don't get any discount on the cruise fare?  It is just a $300 deposit with $600 Sailor Loot?

So the only benefit of MNVV is $600 Sailor Loot?

Completely incorrect.

$300 down on the ship goes towards your 20% deposit. You will still have the pay the balance of your deposit when you book the cruise.

$300 off the cruise fare

$600 Sailor Loot.

BUT the MNVV is going to change by the end of January. No clue what the changes will be but we expect the $600 Sailor Loot is going to be reduced. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Completely incorrect.

$300 down on the ship goes towards your 20% deposit. You will still have the pay the balance of your deposit when you book the cruise.

$300 off the cruise fare

$600 Sailor Loot.

BUT the MNVV is going to change by the end of January. No clue what the changes will be but we expect the $600 Sailor Loot is going to be reduced. 

Thanks for clarifying!  I must be misreading your earlier post.  

On 12/14/2023 at 9:52 PM, cantgetin said:

They are idiots.  That's why I use a Gold Tier travel agent.  And my agent sends me a screen shot of her accounting and any perks I am supposed to have "just in case."

Could you PM me your agents information?

3 hours ago, Jimmym1981 said:

Could you PM me your agents information?

I'd love to, but there is no PM function on CC and we are absolutely forbidden from sharing info about agents.  The underlying issue is that Cruise Critic IS a travel agency.  You can go to various threads on other social media sites and share information that way (you don't have to be booked on a particular cruise date to join a thread for that date and ask questions.....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I'd love to, but there is no PM function on CC and we are absolutely forbidden from sharing info about agents.  The underlying issue is that Cruise Critic IS a travel agency.  You can go to various threads on other social media sites and share information that way (you don't have to be booked on a particular cruise date to join a thread for that date and ask questions.....

Ok that makes perfect sense. No worries at all and I appreciate your response. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the 3 cruises back to back from Sydney to Athens in March 24. We have just had put on our add ons on the app $300 MNVV for each leg but have no idea why. We are meant to get $400 bar tab for each leg but this has not been applied to date. Can anyone give any in site to the MNVV? Thx from a first time ever cruiser!!

1 hour ago, Kailey73 said:

We are booked on the 3 cruises back to back from Sydney to Athens in March 24. We have just had put on our add ons on the app $300 MNVV for each leg but have no idea why. We are meant to get $400 bar tab for each leg but this has not been applied to date. Can anyone give any in site to the MNVV? Thx from a first time ever cruiser!!

My first suggestion would be to contact your travel agent to make sure you got the current best benefits.  I know that the MNVV benefits decreased recently.  I'm not sure why the $400 bar tab as the internet shows $600 for cruises over 14 nights...which would apply to Sydney to Singapore, I think (15 nights?).  If you haven't already applied for status match, do so TODAY as it reportedly end tomorrow!  Don't know if that is application date or processing date, but both of you should apply if you qualify.  

Sorry that I can't be more help on the details as we'd booked 2024 a year ago, so got the "then in effect" benefits.  Your travel agent may have had some MNVV certificates that they were able to use for you, but not sure what the current loot offer is.

4 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

My first suggestion would be to contact your travel agent to make sure you got the current best benefits.  I know that the MNVV benefits decreased recently.  I'm not sure why the $400 bar tab as the internet shows $600 for cruises over 14 nights...which would apply to Sydney to Singapore, I think (15 nights?).  If you haven't already applied for status match, do so TODAY as it reportedly end tomorrow!  Don't know if that is application date or processing date, but both of you should apply if you qualify.  

Sorry that I can't be more help on the details as we'd booked 2024 a year ago, so got the "then in effect" benefits.  Your travel agent may have had some MNVV certificates that they were able to use for you, but not sure what the current loot offer is.

Numerous people from our group have emailed contacted the travel agent but everyone is getting a different story. We booked this cruise Jan this year so almost a year now and I don’t think we are eligible for status match as we have never cruised before even thou we are about to do three in a row lol!  The $400 bar tab was what the travel agent offered as a sweetener to the deal of a pretty cheap cruise at the time, now it would cost three times what we paid for it in January 23.

2 minutes ago, Kailey73 said:

Numerous people from our group have emailed contacted the travel agent but everyone is getting a different story. We booked this cruise Jan this year so almost a year now and I don’t think we are eligible for status match as we have never cruised before even thou we are about to do three in a row lol!  The $400 bar tab was what the travel agent offered as a sweetener to the deal of a pretty cheap cruise at the time, now it would cost three times what we paid for it in January 23.

I just thought of something.  Are you in the US?  That could be where some of the conflict is if you are converting AUD to USD (perks are in USD).  Also, are you in a sea terrace or above cabin?  That's where some most of the perks start.

January 2023, there was a $600 on sailings of 6 nights or more if you were booked in a sea terrace or above cabin.

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

I just thought of something.  Are you in the US?  That could be where some of the conflict is if you are converting AUD to USD (perks are in USD).  Also, are you in a sea terrace or above cabin?  That's where some most of the perks start.

January 2023, there was a $600 on sailings of 6 nights or more if you were booked in a sea terrace or above cabin.

No in NZ but the deal was $400 US for each leg, that was back in Jan this year when we booked and yes we are in a central sea terrace 😊

2 minutes ago, Kailey73 said:

No in NZ but the deal was $400 US for each leg, that was back in Jan this year when we booked and yes we are in a central sea terrace 😊

Well, in Jan 2023, VV should have given you $600 USD in bar tab on each leg of 6 nights or longer.  If you got MNVV, your TA must have had some and gotten it applied as you didn't have any previous voyages....and no Status Match for DBE is sad, but such is life.  

For my 14 night in April 2024, I have $600 MNVV from certificates I purchased on previous cruises, $600 bar tab from VV promo, DBE from status match, $100 bar tab as part of DBE, and bottle of bubbly from travel agent because she booked more than 10 cabins on this cruise.  I have no explanation of your deal and why.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

In case anyone is reading this thread, please know that MNVVs and their use changed for those purchased after January 31, 2024. To get the full $600 OBC benefit, you must book the new cruise within 60 days of purchase. The other old rules apply.  It is still good for 2 years but the OBC is $300 if you book after the first 60 days.

Edited by Gretchendz