Requesting Extra Key for Solo Cabin to Check on Recovering Daughter

blueslily

Hello All,

We have a sailing booked on the Seascape. My friend's young adult daughter is booked as a solo in a cabin by herself. She has been having some medical and mobility challenges and has had a couple medical procedures recently. She will most likely have another procedure before the sailing. Her dad is booked in another cabin, but wants to be able to check on her at times throughout the cruise and maybe even stay the night with her if she has a rough day.

Has anyone had any luck getting an extra key to a cabin? I'm guessing the first day will be of concern since that's travel day and may be more taxing for her. And maybe a day or so during the cruise if she overdoes it. How has Guest Services responded to requests like this? 

Thanks!

Does MSC offer wristbands that can be used to open cabins? Maybe that can be an option for this situation? Just thought about that. The daughter can buy a wristband which her dad can use to check on her. She will keep her original key card.

Thanks

I think it's best to fill out the medical form describing this need and any other things she might need - would a shower stool be helpful, real fridge for medications, sharps container, etc.? Will be up to guest services but if you've documented it ahead of time it may help. I have experience with getting another card (and vice-versa) for my Mom's solo cabin on Celebrity, but not with MSC unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, sbcs5390 said:

I think it's best to fill out the medical form describing this need and any other things she might need - would a shower stool be helpful, real fridge for medications, sharps container, etc.? Will be up to guest services but if you've documented it ahead of time it may help. I have experience with getting another card (and vice-versa) for my Mom's solo cabin on Celebrity, but not with MSC unfortunately. 

Thanks. Yes, we plan to complete and submit the form. I spoke with a MSC representative about it this morning and started completing it. Thanks 

Do you know if MSC has a type of wrist band for cabins? I read about it in a different post, but that was older so I'm not sure. Thanks

7 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Do you know if MSC has a type of wrist band for cabins? I read about it in a different post, but that was older so I'm not sure. Thanks

They're set up for it. At least for Meraviglia, as of a few months ago, they used to be available for purchase and given out in Yacht Club but now they are only given in YC and not available for purchase. 

3 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

They're set up for it. At least for Meraviglia, as of a few months ago, they used to be available for purchase and given out in Yacht Club but now they are only given in YC and not available for purchase. 

Ok. Thanks. I just replied to thr old post I had seen it mentioned in. This is for rhr Seascape. I'm hoping they can be bought now on the Seascape. Ugh. 

I might need to post a new question just about bands on Seascape to see if that helps. Thanks! 

Edited by blueslily

We had a great time! It is a beautiful ship and the crew are wonderful.

There was a glitch with the 2 fun passes that I bought pre-cruise. They did not show up on my account onboard. I went to the service desk where they sent an email shoreside. It was resolved the next day and the arcade charges were creditted back.

Best wishes to you and your friends for an enjoyable cruise!

On 9/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, GPPhilly said:

We have tried a few times to get a key for the room and every time was told they can not do that.  The wristband trick definitely worked for us on all the ships but the Divina since it isn't a smart ship. 

Thanks so much!

On 9/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, blueslily said:

Hello All,

We have a sailing booked on the Seascape. My friend's young adult daughter is booked as a solo in a cabin by herself. …………

How has Guest Services responded to requests like this? 

Thanks!

The wristband solution has been commented on.  We just got off a Princess cruise with a similar situation involving two cabins.  While I had the infant’s ship card to access the adjoining cabin, I wanted her mom to have access to our cabin.  The solution was Guest Services, they added our cabin to her medallion (card) so she had access to both cabins.  That was a logical solution.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:03 PM, ken_ll said:

The wristband solution has been commented on.  We just got off a Princess cruise with a similar situation involving two cabins.  While I had the infant’s ship card to access the adjoining cabin, I wanted her mom to have access to our cabin.  The solution was Guest Services, they added our cabin to her medallion (card) so she had access to both cabins.  That was a logical solution.

Hi. It's been commented on here that MSC doesn't do things like that. Sounds like the wristband is a good solution. Glad it all worked out for you on Princess