Ischia from Naples

Anyislandwilldo

I appreciate the recommendations of the various sights to see while in Napoli. We are cruising the Greek Isles in September (my first trip to Europe) and are following up our cruise with three days in Napoli. 

On 2/11/2024 at 9:45 PM, bennybear said:

I’ll be the devils advocate.   In our decades of travel in Europe,we have not been as fortunate as Hank.  We have encountered two airline strikes and French aircraft controllers strike.   A fire in Rome airport cancelled all flights and we had to find alternatives. We have had an Italian train stop for no reason,  we think it was dinner time.    Things can and do go wrong, in Venice there was a strike announced to start the next day for the vaporettos and alilaguna, but we were assured that one main route would function.   Surprise surprise it was not!   After waiting an hour in the rain with luggage we had to call a private water taxi.  

So while I agree,  independent travel is our preferred choice best be prepared.  And we still love Italy. 

We too have driven all over Italy,  we enjoy it but make a wide detour around Naples.   We have had to travel by taxi back and forth from Salerno to Naples and it was pretty congested.  We arrived well over an hour late for an appointment. 

ROFL.  Remind me not to travel on your cruises :).  But seriously, we also one interesting train moment when simply taking the Circumvesuviana Line train from Naples to Sorrento (where we planned to take the SITA bus over to Positano.  About half way on the route our train stopped and there was an announcement.  Another passenger, who spoke English, explained that there was a factory fire along the tracks and the line had been shut down.   DW and decided not to wait around for a promised bus and walked to a hotel we saw about 1/2 mile from the train.  We had the hotel call us a taxi and we negotiated a price for him to drive us directly to Positano.  We later returned to Naples via a fast ferry.  More of the joys of independent travel when one needs to make "adjustments."   And like you, we also love Italy.  Looking forward to returning in April.

Hank

• Haha 1