Flam Overnight

ericosmith

Planning on doing a self booked Nutshell tour round trip Bergen next summer. We can do it in one day or we could stay overnight in Flam and then take the railway to Myrdal and then back to Bergen.  That would provide the opportunity to relax a bit as well as take a trip to Stegastein viewpoint.  My concern is the early arrival of a 4000 passenger MSC ship the morning we are to take the railway.  Is that going to cause enough crowding to disrupt our departure or cause us to regret staying?  It's not an inexpensive place.

I would definitely spend the night in Flåm and have time to visit Stegastein as well. Flåm has until now been used to handling the arrival of large ships and this will only mean many travelers by train but no delays or other disruptions. You just need to secure tickets for the train.

Have stayed overnight in Flam at the Fretheim Hotel and would recommend it. Flam in the evening, after the “tourists” have left, is special. You can wander the town, or hike along the fjord without the crowds. The only problem, making yourself go to bed because of the midnight sun. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

The only problem, making yourself go to bed because of the midnight sun. 

Not quite.
The term "midnight sun" refers to the consecutive 24-hour periods of sunlight experienced north of the Arctic Circle. Flåm is somewhat south of the Arctic Circle, but the days are very, very long - sunrise at 4 am and sunset at 11 pm.

22 hours ago, hallasm said:

Not quite.
The term "midnight sun" refers to the consecutive 24-hour periods of sunlight experienced north of the Arctic Circle. Flåm is somewhat south of the Arctic Circle, but the days are very, very long - sunrise at 4 am and sunset at 11 pm.

I used Midnight Sun in the broadest sense. Have been there in February when there was about 5 hours of twilight and the rest dark, and the opposite in the summer. I was a guide for many years and took groups to the Lofoten Islands, where it stayed light all night and the only way to get sleep was to switch the head of the bed to looking at the wall and not the window.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice.  I went ahead and booked a night at Flåmsbrygga Hotell .  It looked like there were only two choices in the area of the train and docks.  I guess we'll enjoy the balcony in the evening when we're not looking into somebody's cruise ship balcony.