NCL Encore Miami Scooter Rental - Scootaround vs Special Needs at Sea

CruisnDeb

I posted in the Disabled Cruising board but thought I might get more views and answers here.  We are looking at getting a scooter (first time) for my mother-in-law for a family cruise in February.  Is there any difference between renting from Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea?  We will be sailing on NCL Encore out of Miami.  I would appreciate any insight.  TIA.

6 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Looking at the FAQ's on NCL.com, specifically "Accessible Cruising" it states that Scootaround is the only vendor with access to NCL ships.

Yes, and this is a tremendous negative and disadvantage in most ports when renting a mobility scooter ☹️ which is why I exclusively use Special Needs at Sea in ports like New York City. Most people with mobility issues will need to utilize the scooter through the large cruise terminals - so if the scooter is left in your cabin by Scootaround you will need to find a way to get yourself through the terminal (same coming off because you will need to leave the scooter in the cabin.) Wheelchair service on and off the ship takes forever because there are a lot of folks needing wheelchairs and not a lot of workers available to take folks on and off. In New York City, Scootaround does not offer the option to pick up the scooter in the terminal, but they do in Miami (one of the only ports where they offer this option.)

That said, the one benefit of Scootaround is that they are the only provider for onboard medical equipment (hospital beds, etc.) that NCL will allow on the ships. I rent a recliner/lift chair for every cruise I take from Scootaround. In New York, I have to rent the chair from Scootaround and the scooter from Special Needs at Sea. It's crazy but it's the only thing that works for me 🤷🏻‍♀️ lol.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CruisnDeb said:

I posted in the Disabled Cruising board but thought I might get more views and answers here.  We are looking at getting a scooter (first time) for my mother-in-law for a family cruise in February.  Is there any difference between renting from Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea?  We will be sailing on NCL Encore out of Miami.  I would appreciate any insight.  TIA.

I am not a scooter person.

But Scootaround has a desk as soon as you enter the door of the terminal in Miami (Terminal B)

image.png.84db8566cd910d956a9440df836b35e1.png

• Thanks 1