Soda package ships with no freestyle

Thoenix

Might seem like a stupid question, but is it correct that only coke, diet coke, and sprite are included in the soda package if you are on a ship with no freestyle machine? I would have thought they'd have gingerale and club soda available as mixers? Do they not offer those as mixers and/or are they excluded despite being sodas? Trying to figure out drink packages and we don't plan to drink enough alcohol to bother with the deluxe package, but 2/3 of us don't drink plain water (and no, just training ourselves to drink water won't work) and one of those is allergic to caffeine, so we're trying to carefully consider our beverage options as we book, probably on Vision, which has no freestyle machines. Without the freestyle machines, the soda package kind of sounds pointless to me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

Might seem like a stupid question, but is it correct that only coke, diet coke, and sprite are included in the soda package if you are on a ship with no freestyle machine? I would have thought they'd have gingerale and club soda available as mixers? Do they not offer those as mixers and/or are they excluded despite being sodas? Trying to figure out drink packages and we don't plan to drink enough alcohol to bother with the deluxe package, but 2/3 of us don't drink plain water (and no, just training ourselves to drink water won't work) and one of those is allergic to caffeine, so we're trying to carefully consider our beverage options as we book, probably on Vision, which has no freestyle machines. Without the freestyle machines, the soda package kind of sounds pointless to me. 

You'll be able to get ginger ale from a bar gun.  I'm pretty sure I have.

I've gotten the soda package twice on Vision and I won't do it again on a ship that doesn't have the freestyle machines. It's just not worth it for me, I'm diabetic and can't tolerate caffeine, so the only things I could drink were soda water and Sprite Zero. There just weren't any other options for me. 

Next cruise, I'm planning to take water flavoring packets with me and try that. I like water but I also like to mix it up. True Lemon has lemon, lime, and orange flavors with no sweeteners and there are a ton of other options with and without sugar out there if that helps any.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nautical Wheeler A1A said:

I've gotten the soda package twice on Vision and I won't do it again on a ship that doesn't have the freestyle machines. It's just not worth it for me, I'm diabetic and can't tolerate caffeine, so the only things I could drink were soda water and Sprite Zero. There just weren't any other options for me. 

Next cruise, I'm planning to take water flavoring packets with me and try that. I like water but I also like to mix it up. True Lemon has lemon, lime, and orange flavors with no sweeteners and there are a ton of other options with and without sugar out there if that helps any.

I'm the one who can't have caffeine and so has the most limited drink options of anyone in our group. I'm considering carrying my usual flavour options (the true lemon ones are a fave of mine! They're so good!) but as petty as maybe it sounds, I don't really want to carry my little packets everywhere. I will if I must, of course, but I would really prefer to be as lazy as possible on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thoenix said:

You can get ginger ale and club soda with the soda package.  Club soda with a lime is my drink of choice most of the time if I am getting a drink at the bar.  I don't bother getting a soda package or refreshment package though if the ship doesn't have freestyle machines.  

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

You can get ginger ale and club soda with the soda package.  Club soda with a lime is my drink of choice most of the time if I am getting a drink at the bar.  I don't bother getting a soda package or refreshment package though if the ship doesn't have freestyle machines.  

Are the mocktails not good? I'm tempted by refreshment because I love a good mocktail, but if they're not good then I'll just pack my own flavours. 

8 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

Are the mocktails not good? I'm tempted by refreshment because I love a good mocktail, but if they're not good then I'll just pack my own flavours. 

Mocktails are in the refreshment package, not the soda package.  They are non-alcoholic versions of the real thing.  I just don't like drinking all that sugar, I prefer a nice cookie. 😄 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Mocktails are in the refreshment package, not the soda package.  They are non-alcoholic versions of the real thing.  I just don't like drinking all that sugar, I prefer a nice cookie. 😄 

I don't drink sugar at home very often, so on holiday it sounds nice.  I was thinking about doing the refreshment package since that seems like it might make more sense than the soda package with such limited options.  Or, once my travel agent is back from high holy days stuff, I might choose a different ship with the freestyle machines.  I'll talk to her.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

I don't drink sugar at home very often, so on holiday it sounds nice.  I was thinking about doing the refreshment package since that seems like it might make more sense than the soda package with such limited options.  Or, once my travel agent is back from high holy days stuff, I might choose a different ship with the freestyle machines.  I'll talk to her.

I like to get the refreshment package for the specialty coffee, bottled still and sparkling water, fresh squeezed OJ and freestyle machine.  I don't get it on all cruises because I don't think I get my monies worth if we have a port intensive cruise.  We have friends that get it all the time because they don't drink alcohol but love frozen mocktails.

3 hours ago, Thoenix said:

DW and and DD always get the RP.  They love their virgin mocktails.

One up side of the RP is that you can get cans of soda instead of just what's in the gun.

Edited by Tree_skier

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

One up side of the RP is that you can get cans of soda instead of just what's in the gun.

Yes.  I got cans of Coke Zero on Serenade last month, so you aren't limited to just what's in the gun.  Not sure how vast the selection of canned soda is but I had no trouble getting Coke Zero at any bar.   

Edited by RogerDodger247
typo
  • Like 1