Where to get a "promotional code" for Viking Ocean

benel204

Hello,

We are possibly going to book our first ever Viking tour (an ocean cruise Med Odyssey May 2024), booking directly with Viking.

However, I am not pleased that the ~$16K expense would not even include gratuities or any beverage package (not that we are heavy consumers).

In reading through various resources, it looks like having a "promotional code" would help us to reduce the cost or get onboard credit, possibly both.

Does anyone have more insight on where/how to get a promotional code or onboard credit or both? 

We were excited about the itinerary, but the other cruise lines (and booking through Costco Travel) are now feeling like a better value.

Here is a long thread where folks have been posting the Promo codes as they find them. Have a look at the end for the most recent offers. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2863068-post-viking-promos/page/38/#comment-66092365

People also report that you can book directly with Viking, then transfer to a travel agency and receive any OBC offered by the TA. 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 4:49 PM, benel204 said:

Hello,

We are possibly going to book our first ever Viking tour (an ocean cruise Med Odyssey May 2024), booking directly with Viking.

However, I am not pleased that the ~$16K expense would not even include gratuities or any beverage package (not that we are heavy consumers).

In reading through various resources, it looks like having a "promotional code" would help us to reduce the cost or get onboard credit, possibly both.

Does anyone have more insight on where/how to get a promotional code or onboard credit or both? 

We were excited about the itinerary, but the other cruise lines (and booking through Costco Travel) are now feeling like a better value.

Promo codes usually come in emails from Viking and the thread noted above is the only place I am aware that collects them.  It's proved helpful to me and others. 

It appears to me that Viking offers promo codes when a particular cruise hasn't sold as expected.  Timing for this is difficult (impossible) to predict. IF there is a particular cruise you want to take and you can only take it at a particular time, it's unlikely a promo will work for you. For example, we had been watching and waiting for a promo in the Route of Marco Polo (which never appeared) but last spring a promo for the Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise appeared that offered free air, silver spirits, and an upgraded category.  We decided it was a good deal and jumped on it.  Unfortunately that cruise was cancelled (and the Marco Polo one never had a promo that we saw). 

Regarding your second question, to maximize your value, you may want to find a travel agent that provides the maximum kickback of their commission that Viking allows-$150pp on cruises up to 7 nights, $300pp on 8-14 night cruises, and $500pp on cruises of 15 nights or more. This is enough to cover the daily service charge/gratuities and leave a little left over for the bar tab. 🍸. Not all travel agents provide this maximum value. You can book directly and the. transfer to an agent if you wish. My agent says it has to be transferred within 30 days but others have reported that it can happen within 60.  When we do it we always do it almost immediately after booking online or on the phone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Other Tom said:

Just curious, it you're going to transfer the booking immediately, why not just book with the TA?

Sometimes the promos come out (or I don't see them anyway) until the weekend and rather than risk not getting it booked, I'll go online and book it and then send the booking number to our TA.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Thank you all for the information about finding a TA who might be able to offer a promotional code or onboard credit.

Anyone have a TA to recommend?

No, because it’s against the posting rules on CC.