Jump to content

What determines a policy effective date?


LSuzQ
 Share

Recommended Posts

What is the effective date of a policy, if it is the case that the insurance is part of the original cruise package (such as with Aon) and thus is one line item on the invoice from booking until final payment? Trying to determine in this situation when a 60 day look-back period would begin. TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LSuzQ said:

What is the effective date of a policy, if it is the case that the insurance is part of the original cruise package (such as with Aon) and thus is one line item on the invoice from booking until final payment? Trying to determine in this situation when a 60 day look-back period would begin. TIA


With something as important as travel insurance (or any insurance), I'd be very reluctant to rely upon any universal statements about "effective date" (and especially from "random internet strangers", etc.!).

 

Each insurer or even each policy could have specific critical information and definitions.

I'd strongly suggest that you either read the policy terms and conditions (ALWAYS a good idea!) or call the insurer or your agent/broker.  IF they tell you (and they should be able to!), then ask them to point you to the specific wording in *your* policy so you can highlight it in case you need it in the future.

Note also that insurance is regulated by the states, so you want to be sure that you understand the terms for your state, and not from someone else in a different state, etc.

 

And some third party travel insurance, if started within 10-20 days of the very first payment, do not have any restrictions about pre-existing medical conditions.  However, one must be "fit to travel" on the day one starts the policy.

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

What is the effective date of a policy, if it is the case that the insurance is part of the original cruise package (such as with Aon) and thus is one line item on the invoice from booking until final payment? Trying to determine in this situation when a 60 day look-back period would begin. TIA


The effective date is usually 12:01 AM on the day after your premium is received. It is determined by the actual date the insurance company receives the payment. Did you pay for the insurance at the time of booking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Babr said:


The effective date is usually 12:01 AM on the day after your premium is received. It is determined by the actual date the insurance company receives the payment. Did you pay for the insurance at the time of booking?

I made several payments to Oceania between the time I paid a deposit and final payment. None were earmarked specifically for insurance—just general payments. Insurance was listed as a line item on the Oceania documentation from the beginning. And as we added things such as pre-cruise hotel and air, the insurance line increased accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

I made several payments to Oceania between the time I paid a deposit and final payment. None were earmarked specifically for insurance—just general payments. Insurance was listed as a line item on the Oceania documentation from the beginning. And as we added things such as pre-cruise hotel and air, the insurance line increased accordingly.

Ah….I did find this. And will take the advice of getting in touch with those in the know for my specific policy.

 

“all you need to do is pay the plan cost with your final cruise payment. PLEASE NOTE: Trip Cancellation provision takes effect only upon receipt of full payment of the protection plan cost.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...