Snorkel excursion Airlie Beach, Australia

Envelope21

We will be on the Luminosa in March, 2024 and are very interested in the snorkel excursion from Airlie Beach. We understand we will be traveling during stinger season and the excursion states that 'stinger suits will be provided.'

I have tried to find some reviews of this excursion, but not having much luck. I would really like to hear from anyone who has taken this excursion from Carnival. My questions include:

What kind of boat is used to travel to the reef?

What sizes do the stinger suits come in? DH is an experienced snorkeler but is a big man weighing 290 pounds. Would there be a suit to fit him? Is it dangerous to snorkel without the suit?

The excursion states that we would travel to a pontoon where we would snorkel from. What is the pontoon like?

I have seen advise that since this is a tender port, it is best to take the ship's excursion because the tender process can be quite lengthly and we only have a limited amount to time in port.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

9 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

We will be on the Luminosa in March, 2024 and are very interested in the snorkel excursion from Airlie Beach. We understand we will be traveling during stinger season and the excursion states that 'stinger suits will be provided.'

I have tried to find some reviews of this excursion, but not having much luck. I would really like to hear from anyone who has taken this excursion from Carnival. My questions include:

What kind of boat is used to travel to the reef?

What sizes do the stinger suits come in? DH is an experienced snorkeler but is a big man weighing 290 pounds. Would there be a suit to fit him? Is it dangerous to snorkel without the suit?

The excursion states that we would travel to a pontoon where we would snorkel from. What is the pontoon like?

I have seen advise that since this is a tender port, it is best to take the ship's excursion because the tender process can be quite lengthly and we only have a limited amount to time in port.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

Usually the timing a ship is in Airlie Beach does not allow for passengers to use private tour companies to the reef. By the time the first tenders arrive at Airlie port, the private tours will have left for the reef. and they don't return until after the ship has sailed. The only way to do a reef tour from Airlie is by the ship excursion as passengers on these excursions are picked up and returned directly to the ship. As for stinger suits, you would need to contact the cruise line or even one of the local reef companies to check on sizing.

This photo is similar to what the pontoons look like - 

Reef Magic | Great Barrier Reef Tour | Snorkel & Diving

• Like 2

Thank you. Especially for the photo!

Yes, we totally understand about using the ships excursion, not a private vender. The excursion I’m talking about is from Carnival. I’m really hoping to hear from anyone who may have taken this excursion, as opposed to calling Carnival. I know some of Carnivals descriptions of their excursions can be a little, shall we say, “ embellished .”

Good suggestion about contacting a local vender though for insight. Thank you

• Like 1