Shuttles in Scotland ports

mare s.

We should have docked in Leith early morning and it was 4 30 pm before we docked at Rosyth. It doesn't happen often but you do need to realise sea and weather conditions impact! Azamara 

and the captain did their best in difficult unforeseen circumstances

I would also add that July/August can be really tricky wind conditions even on a nice day.  Azamaras docking position in Leith has a big advantage for guests re accessibility however it’s one of the trickiest entries for Captains through a tidal lock so only two chances a day and not an option if the wind gets up.  Between The Open and the Tattoo in July/August several cruises have had issues over the years (I also remember one in 2015 getting stuck in the port for an extra two days). 
In many ways now we have the tram network extension Vikings tender spot coming into Newhaven is better because it’s more reliable. 
If your overnight has a risk of being ex Rosyth I would look at hotel options though they will be crazy priced. If you can accept basic just as a spot to sleep look for something like the Ibis at the Gyle. It’s on the tram line (opposite end to Leith) so getting back to the hotel will be relatively easy and if you want to head back to the ship from the hotel next morning it’s a five minute walk to the train station for the route heading back to Inverkeithing (for Rosyth). 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 10:22 AM, Silver Claire said:

Hello! 
Really depends on what you want to see and how you want to do it. Shuttle bus takes you into town centre from there you could catch a bus or train to Stonehaven and then a taxi to Dunnottar Castle and also explore Stonehaven which is a gorgeous coastal town. 
Staying in Aberdeen itself get a but to Seaton/Old Aberdeen and/or a bus to Footdee and the beach. Depending on your interests within the city centre is The Maritime Museum, The Art Gallery and Provost Skenes House - all with free entry.
For organised tours I would recommend https://www.bothiesandbannocks.co.uk and 

grampianescapesandtours.co.uk there are also options on Viator/Get Your Guide/Tours by Locals etc. If you see any on there and want to run them by me happy to give you my thoughts.

Any other specific questions just ask! 

Thanks so much. I’ll digest your great info and look forward to a lovely visit. 

On 5/24/2024 at 6:52 AM, manc said:

We took shuttle to city centre from the ship and then local bus into the old town. That is a fascinating area to walk around. We then got a local bus around to the sea shore.

Thanks. Always a help to know what others have done.