Nassau...Is the Straw Market really worth it???

sydney dog

So I remember going to the straw market 20+ years ago and it was great...people selling there own items that they made.  However, I see now some people saying that what they are selling looks like "bulk bought items" that doesn't appear hand made or such.  Also, how far is straw market from the ship?  If I go I plan on taking a cab from my excursion and hoping to just walk back to port.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, blue_water said:

Short walk from the port.

It hasn’t changed, every vendor sells the same stuff, trinkets and souvenirs for first-time visitors…

There are 2 sisters that sell their own paintings. I have bought a few of them.

23 hours ago, hannibal54 said:

There are 2 sisters that sell their own paintings. I have bought a few of them.

Yes…There are also a few craftsmen and artists (some outside the building) who have crafted some beautiful wood and canvas. Walking through the stalls inside the market is just so underwhelming, or sad…

If you want cheap stuff to give as souvenirs, go inside the straw market and remember to barter. A simple magnet some will ask for 10 or 15 but I let them know I'm not willing to pay more than 5 and get it at that price. 

If you're wanting something truly unique, go to the ally where you can watch people carving. The work they do is beautiful and worth the price, you can find people also painting over there. 

On 10/19/2023 at 8:27 AM, DaOceanIsMyHome said:

If you want cheap stuff to give as souvenirs, go inside the straw market and remember to barter. A simple magnet some will ask for 10 or 15 but I let them know I'm not willing to pay more than 5 and get it at that price. 

If you're wanting something truly unique, go to the ally where you can watch people carving. The work they do is beautiful and worth the price, you can find people also painting over there. 

Yes while staying on the island we rarely went into Nassau, but when we did we stopped in the alley next to the market and picked up a few things. Definitely negotiate…
You can spend too much time walking through the market if not careful…

• Like 1

For the most part, it is the same recycled made in China junk you can find in most of the gift shops; just without the regulation of a set price or knowledge of exactly where you got the item from. There ARE a few great artisans, but you have to wade through everything to find them. And the stall owners are definitely pushing on the high side for prices for bartering. We saw a cup there that they were asking for $20 at the start and went down to $18 as we walked away. It was in a brick and mortar gift shop next door for $12. We always get small little Nassau trinkets, but tend to avoid the straw market for the hassle as it's not my preferred method of shopping at all.   

On 10/19/2023 at 8:27 AM, DaOceanIsMyHome said:

Our friends got a beautifully carved elephant from over there just last week. Those artisans are definitely worth visiting. 

• Like 1