Northern Light cruise - starboard or port?

cruising diva

We had a port side room on QM2 last year - but I don't think it really matters. Land is only visible if you are in fjord or passage between islands - and for a fjord, the ship usually turns around to exit the same way it came in.

QM2 docked 'starboard side to' in Tromso, and I was able to take some photos featuring the Arctic Cathedral on the opposite shore - but I could have taken these shots from deck 7 or 12 just as easily [and did take some from the upper decks].

I don't think it matters.   If the Northern Lights are present you will want to be on open deck.

We were on a recent cruise when the Northern Lights were visible.   I looks out our window and didn't see anything only to be advised how fantastic they were from the deck.   I was disappointed I hadn't ventured out.

The direction the ship is heading will also affect whether port or starboard is best if visible from your room

On the other hand we once saw them sailing South from Alaska Starboard.    That particular night the Captain did something he never does on Celebrity and came on the PA at 11:00 PM to advise how spectacular they were.