First time to UK - transport from Heathrow to York

Love Blue

Flying into Heathrow from Canada in early February, arriving early afternoon.  We have about six days pre-cruise. Our plan is to travel directly to York for a couple of days then go to London for the remaining days before taking a train to Southampton on the morning of the cruise. 

We are trying to organize transport to York. Are there trains from Heathrow to York, or do we need to go from Heathrow to Kings Cross and then take a train to York?

We have read about the Piccadilly Line, the Elizabeth Line, LNER and the underground. We are a little confused with all the options and would appreciate some feedback. 

We are including York for family reasons as this is our first trip to the UK.  Thank you. 

There are no inter-city trains from Heathrow. As you suspected, you will need to go to London King’s Cross and take the LNER service from there. LNER is one of several Train Operating Companies in the U.K., which are franchises running train services in and to particular parts of the country. 

To get from Heathrow to Kings Cross, I would suggest simplest is best. Take the London Underground service, the Piccadilly line, direct to King’s Cross. 

This will all take about three hours. If you are coming back to London, you will need to see if two ‘Advance’  single tickets (discounted tickets only valid on a specified train) or one return ticket is the best value. With a connection off a flight and timing uncertainty, a simple return, which will be valid on a number of trains may be best, if not cheapest. 

It’s too early to book rail travel for February, but trying dummy bookings now on similar days in say late December will give you an idea of fares and timings. 

• Thanks 1

Long distance rail fares.  You have to balance price against flexibiity.  The cheapest tickets are called "advance" (it's a particular ticket type, not simply that you bought it ahead of time).  These can be very cheap but if you miss the train it is worthless, it cannot be used on a different service.  With the uncertainties of airport arrival and immigration, if you chose this I would want to pick a departure time a long time after scheduled landing - four hours at least to give breathing room.  For the return to London, where you can be much more certain of your plan, an "advance" fare will be the best option.  Start searching with LNER now, they sell tickets earlier than other operators.

The walk-up single is £69 (valid from 0910 to 1459 weekdays, anytime weekends), much more in weekday rush hours.

There are no return fares on this route.

As stated above, the simplest way from Heathrow to Kings Cross is Piccadilly line.  Direct.  Just use a contactless bank card / smartphone / smartwatch top operate the platform gate, do NOT buy a paper ticket for this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Island2Dweller said:

Start searching with LNER now, they sell tickets earlier than other operators.

Thanks for pointing this out - not a TOC I use very often! Also that they have moved to simplified ticketing and that two singles are required. 

But looking at the booking engine on their website, I can't see flexible tickets in early February - just Advances, many of which are over £100, so more expensive than an off-peak. I would not book until all the fares are loaded. 

If the OP is arriving LHR early afternoon, I wonder if they will hit an afternoon/evening peak on this route? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

If the OP is arriving LHR early afternoon, I wonder if they will hit an afternoon/evening peak on this route? 

I was thinking that. Say flight arrives 1pm-ish, through immigration and baggage etc by 2.30, get to Kings Cross about 3.30-4...almost hitting peak time for fare prices and start of rush hour. I'm just wondering if it might be better to bite the bullet and stay somewhere near Kings Cross overnight?...just a thought.

Simon

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this post - I came here to post the exact question.  First off you are going to love York!  An excellent decision for your pre-cruise (we are doing similar, making our way to Edinburgh for cruise departure). 
However, I'm wondering about a private transfer? We will be a party of 4, so split 4 ways it may not be hugely higher than the train refundable/First Class prices.  We arrive LHR at 11:45, and I was worried about the evening rush as well.  

I've googled a few private transfers, but they get horrendous reviews.  Does anyone have any tried and true London Private Car companies to recommend?

1 hour ago, DrmnOfMaui said:

Thanks for this post - I came here to post the exact question.  First off you are going to love York!  An excellent decision for your pre-cruise (we are doing similar, making our way to Edinburgh for cruise departure). 
However, I'm wondering about a private transfer? We will be a party of 4, so split 4 ways it may not be hugely higher than the train refundable/First Class prices.  We arrive LHR at 11:45, and I was worried about the evening rush as well.  

I've googled a few private transfers, but they get horrendous reviews.  Does anyone have any tried and true London Private Car companies to recommend?

No experience to recommend one, but I'd try asking a York company before a London/Heathrow one.  In my view, the odds are with you on getting a better price (and by the sounds of it, a better service).