Virgin Voyages Canceled Cruise Refund Attempts

MLLanker

My first ever planned cruise. Was using to get cruise experience before trying Australia-New Zealand cruise next year. Booking and taking my money was easy. VV canceled 31 cruises in Sep 2023 - one was my 8 day Caribbean cruise. When rebooking period opened, my cruise/cabin was not available. The other 'substitute' cruises did not meet my desired cruise. I filed for refund on 9/13 and was promised refund (7-10 business days) by 10/2. I called 10/3 and they said it had been processed 10/2 for another 7-10 business day wait. I called back on 10/10 and due to 'system error' they have to manually push it through for another 7-10 business day delay. At 29 calendar days wait now and still counting (I could have driven to/back from Florida four times already). Filed complaint with BBB and disputed charge for failure to deliver product with credit card company. Guess I'll see when I finally get a refund. Of course they won't pay for the interest charged during the delay (disputing the charge removed the interest charged by credit card bank and temporary credit was received from bank in less than 24 hours).

When they cancelled my cruise, I received a my refund minus $590  within 3 days. (I had booked the cruise and then cancelled and rebooked the exact cruise to receive a better promo so they put the deposit on as a future cruise credit and used it within minutes to rebook the exact same cruise)   I contacted them regarding the $590 which they told me they were holding as a future voyage credit because I had cancelled and rebooked which was stupid because it was the exact same cruise which THEY cancelled    I contacted the BBB and filed a complaint.  Within 1 week I received a call from Virgin stating they were making an exception and processing an additional refund of the $590 which  I received 4 days later.   It seems if you file a complaint you get to a different department that takes care of things right away.    Hope you get your refund soon!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

If you file a BBB complaint, they contact the other party, in this case VV, and ask for VV's side of things.  Looks like it worked for the above poster.

Yeah, look at the cruise industry BBB!  But it’s not scams VV.  Again, waste of time.  Same thing credit card.

13 hours ago, Back to school said:

BBB, waste of time!

Back to school, I filed the complaint with the BBB on 9/28 and had a reply from them on 10/5 that Virgin agreed to give me the balance that was due on the cruise they cancelled.  4 days later that credit was applied to my credit card.    They certainly helped me with my issue with Virgin.

• Like 3

BBB and disputing the charge via your credit card end up getting handled by a different department than refunds normally are. This can lead to faster refunds. The flip side is, this can also lead to you being put on a list of persona non grata with the cruise line. Especially disputing via credit card.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had an issue with VV refunding lost travel expenses?  We claimed for flights back from San Juan and despite asking about it several time haven't heard anything.  Managed to cancel all our hotel bookings at no cost.

Our cruise was changed to our request very quickly but this refund it taking an age.