Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya

tonyfall1

Hello,

I am doing a cruise with stops in Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya. I plan on doing excursions in 2 of the ports and plan to just walk around in one of the ports. I will be docked at Punta Langosta. I have been to Cozumel once before and did an excursion to Chankanaab. I have not been to the other 2 ports. Which port is best to just walk around in and perhaps skip the excursion? I am thinking Cozumel might be the best for that? I plan on probably doing the sloths in Roatan and a beach day in Costa Maya.

Edited by tonyfall1

1 hour ago, tonyfall1 said:

Hello,

I am doing a cruise with stops in Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya. I plan on doing excursions in 2 of the ports and plan to just walk around in one of the ports. I will be docked at Punta Langosta. I have been to Cozumel once before and did an excursion to Chankanaab. I have not been to the other 2 ports. Which port is best to just walk around in and perhaps skip the excursion? I am thinking Cozumel might be the best for that? I plan on probably doing the sloths in Roatan and a beach day in Costa Maya.

I have a similar itinerary in March, and have been on the same years ago.  Your plan is on the money.  Cozumel is most developed and best for wandering around on your own.  Roatan and Costa Maya don't offer a lot.  I think the sloth tours and fairly short, combine that with your beach day as the beach options are much better in Roatan than in Costa Maya.  In Costa Maya, there's the port area and then some offerings at Mahahual, maybe Lost Kingdom, but I'm planning on spending more time on the ship before and after checking out the remodeled/expanded port area.

I do see that the Costa Maya port area just installed a flow rider attraction, anybody there recently have any info on pricing?

• Like 2

We go in Jan. We have only been to Cozumel before , but we just shopped there at the port. Chankanaab was closed. So we plan to go there this time. We plan to stay in port in Costa Maya and do the Bird Aviary. Roatan we want to snorkel & do the sloth &monkeys.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 11:36 AM, tonyfall1 said:

Hello,

If you dock at Langosta I would definitely choose that port to stay around the port.

Lots of shopping, restaurants, town square, museum, churches, ocean front sculptures, mercado, food courtyards and wall murals. Venture back from Melgar for more authentic experience. Upstairs bars and restaurants for sea view. 

If you like to snorkel and can walk, go to La Monina or Hemingway’s (downstairs) or No Name Bar at Hotel Barracuda.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 11:12 PM, 1361bass said:

Which stop is the Punta Longosta dock at ?   Are you referring to Cozumel?  

Its the oldest pier right in downtown that everybody used to use back in the day, but now Royal Caribbean Lines (RCCL, Celebrity, etc. ) have their own pier south of town at the International Pier and Carnival's lines (Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.)have their own pier right next door at the Puerto Maya Pier.

I know last week when we were there only Virgin was using Punta Langosta.

I think NCL still might use it too. (and any other line that isn't owned by the big two companies.)

Back to the OP's question. Roatan is definitely best for excurstions. I always like something (Monkey Farm, Iguana Farm, etc.) and West Bay beach.

If docking in town in Cozumel, you will be able to easily walk around and shop and eat. But the variety of excursions in Cozumel will dwarf the little available in Costa Maya. The widest variety of beach/pool days available, bar hops, dolphin swims, sub rides, snorkling, etc.

Costa Maya mainly has a smaller, but closer to the port area, set of Mayan Ruins, and alot of beach bars lining the Malecon in town. Which has alot of local wares that can be shopped all along the Malecon, for the cost of a very short cab ride into town. (Mahahual)

Personally I would do excursions in Roatan and Cozumel and walk around town in Costa Maya. (Unless the Mayan Ruins sound interesting, then flip/flop Costa Maya and Cozumel)

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1