Daily Cost for Rollator, rented from Scootaround?

kodidog

6 hours ago, suramom said:

that't true, however you have to lug it thru the airport, which might be difficult.  Depends on whether you have a travel partner who can help.  If it's a very expensive item, it might be best.

Yes, that's right.  I am counting on my travel partner to do the rolling, and hopefully my airline will make sure I have the requested wheelchair ride to the gate.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:25 PM, kodidog said:

Now....more questions of course, LOL.

When travelling, how do you keep the unit from becoming 'unfolded' when they stow it in the plane?

What happens when one 'drives' the rollator to the MDR?   Does it have to stay outside, or will they find me a nice corner next to my table?

I'm sure I'll think of other things you can help me with.  What do you charge an hour?

In the main dining room they took mine away and put it somewhere where  it was out of the way. When I was ready to leave they brought it back to me. I found it to be  more of a problem at the buffet. 

Edited by shadow 123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow 123 said:

In the main dining room they took mine away and put it somewhere where  it was out of the way. When I was ready to leave they brought it back to me. I found it to be  more of a problem at the buffet. 

Excellent.   I have a small tray that I thought of taking, so I can get a couple of things in the buffet myself, but wonder about how the seating will work out when it is crowded.

11 hours ago, kodidog said:

Excellent.   I have a small tray that I thought of taking, so I can get a couple of things in the buffet myself, but wonder about how the seating will work out when it is crowded.

I found it very uncomfortable. I think it would be better to go when it's less crowded. If anyone on this thread has a better way of maneuvering a rollator in the buffet I would love to know about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone who is interested in getting a rollator: I haven't seen anyone mention this but it's an important feature.  Get a rollator that folds up SIDEWAYS so that it is narrower when folded.  My first rollator (supplied by the VA) folded up front to back, and it was a real pain trying to get through narrow spots.  It also folded so that it would not stand on all four wheels when folded, which made it even more of a pain.  My Drive rollator (see picture above) is wonderful--I walk down the passageways aboard ship and whenever I encounter a narrow spot (like the carts used by the attendants) I just reach down, grab the handle in the center of the seat, pull up and the rollator is suddenly half its width but still rolling--then past the obstacle I let the rollator pop down again.  Don't even have to stop for this operation. 

And regarding the cost of a rollator:  I wouldn't touch one of those under $100, and also am not convinced that those between $100 and $200 are sturdy enough to be reliable.  My walking health and safety is important enough to me to invest in one that meets my needs, and I find that the $200 but under $300 range does that.  Check out a wide array of them on Amazon.

• Like 2

Not to mention getting through standard-width cabin doors--fold the rollator sideways and drive right through.

Folks, if you are spending some thousands of dollars for cruises, please consider the rollator as a very inexpensive investment!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 11:22 AM, shadow 123 said:

I got my roller on Amazon and cost me about $120 with free shipping. Again, good luck

check on-line auctions  (or live auctions, too)

I've gotten a couple really nice rollators for under $50  (new, in the box)

8 hours ago, ohiocpa said:

check on-line auctions  (or live auctions, too)

I've gotten a couple really nice rollators for under $50  (new, in the box)

I've never heard of this. Can you share any information on how I can do this? If it's too much trouble don't bother. Thank you

Edited by shadow 123

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, shadow 123 said:

I've never heard of this. Can you share any information on how I can do this? If it's too much trouble don't bother. Thank you

I think ohiocpa was referring to ebay.  Also ask if senior assistance knows where gently used equipment is sold, etc. 

• Like 1

My wife travels with her own collapsible rollator. The one she has now--and likes a lot--is an UPRIGHT, meaning that you are walking normally, not hunched over. 

Instead of renting, she always checks it in on airlines. After being issued the necessary tags at check-in, she walks up to the plane and at the door drops off the rollator, which then goes to the airplane's belly, and its collected at the airplane's door at the next airport (if we are changing planes) or at the final destination. This usually works without hitches, although we have instances of the rollator going to the final destination, to be collected at the carousel.

The reason she does it this way is her belief that if she checked the rollator as regular baggage, it would be mishandled and manhandled and damaged.

All the airlines have been cooperative.

Before getting her current UPRIGHT (check it out), my wife had a regular-type walker. It went to the United Arab Emirates, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore and China, without any problems.

Without her UPRIGHT walker, my wife probably could not cruise. With the introduction of mega ships, ports have also spread and expanded. So just to get to the gate of a pier one often has to walk considerable distances, too long for her to manage.

We are booked on the Carnival Pride's April 7 14-day Journeys from Tampa to Baltimore. Six Caribbean ports, including Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten. That latter port has expanded greatly in recent years. I hope the trolley shuttle to the water taxi stand still operates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My spouse uses canes and walkers.  When driving to a cruise port, bringing the walker made a great difference.  Hesitated to bring the walker when flying, we left it home.  As time progressed, using a walker has become  essential. Now we fly and take the walker.  On cruises, it makes getting around easier. Great in the buffet. Put food on seat and roll to a table. Use a DRIVE rollator. Got it at Goodwill Medical Store.  Cost $100. It was in perfect condition. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Drive rollator is the one to get.  It's sturdy and safe, with great brakes.  At home I use it to carry tools, books, anything around the house.  You MIGHT be able to find one used that is in good shape (in fact, the DRIVE one is likely to be in good shape) but it's a matter of luck.  If you need a rollator, the Drive is still under $300.  

One more thing about using it--I have a bad balance problem and have fallen a couple of times working in my garage building furniture.  I have (finally!) learned to keep it by my side as I move around the garage, putting its brakes on wherever I stop.  It's a safe standard for me--just grab, or lean a bit on it to keep my balance.  So easy, so handy, so safe.

Got a drop foot?  This may be your answer too--you can walk at speed and not worry about your foot catching and finding yourself on the ground.

About walking upright rather than hunched over--I am always upright and I'm six feet tall--because the Drive has easily adjustable vertical handles.  I would never use a rollator that made me hunch over.  There are specific "upright" ones too, but the Drive is great for me.

And no, I'm not a salesman--I'm just a satisfied customer.

• Like 2