Daily Cost for Rollator, rented from Scootaround?

kodidog

Hi....thinking that my cane will not be enough to get me around the huge Enchanted Princess (From Ft Lauderdale) next March.  I am considering the rental of a rollator, assuming it will make my days easier, and actually encourage me to leave the cabin, LOL.

When I look at the Scootaround site, it wants me to 'get a quote' (and then book) or start a booking, and I can't find a daily rental cost anywhere without doing that.  Can anyone here tell me the cost of a daily rental?  I will make arrangements in a bit,  if I decide to do this, and enquire about weekly/extended discounts if any for our 20 day cruise at that time.   Thanks.

Rentals are based on supply and demand and your beginning and ending port.  So they are all different and there is really no standard per day price; it will be based on your particular cruise and dates.  You might just give them a call and have them give you a quote over the phone if you can't do a dummy booking on line.  They will want to add insurance to your booking so decide if this is something you want ahead of time.   Also, request discount code USCRUISE (from United Spinal members) for a discount (even if you book on line, you might have to actually talk to Scootaround to have the code applied).  

Have you considered buying a rollator?   You may find out that by the time you rent one you may have spent enough $ that you could have purchased one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rollators are highly usable for not only cruises, but at home and outdoors.  Give this a try--I have had one for over two years and have never looked back.  By the way, this model folds up sideways and is very narrow then.

Amazon site is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZYD9JJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

39199091-EF51-406F-B69A-36013963BA9A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0ad7153a667712506749f990cc2db808.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Rentals are based on supply and demand and your beginning and ending port.  So they are all different and there is really no standard per day price; it will be based on your particular cruise and dates.  You might just give them a call and have them give you a quote over the phone if you can't do a dummy booking on line.  They will want to add insurance to your booking so decide if this is something you want ahead of time.   Also, request discount code USCRUISE (from United Spinal members) for a discount (even if you book on line, you might have to actually talk to Scootaround to have the code applied).  

Have you considered buying a rollator?   You may find out that by the time you rent one you may have spent enough $ that you could have purchased one.

I agree. You really should think of buying it. Take a look on amazon they're very reasonable. And I have a feeling that you may be using it again so you will get your moneys worth. I bought 1 and I've never ever regretted it. Good luck

Ps. It also came in handy as a seat. I took a 25 day cruise this year to Iceland and Canada and it came in so handy when I was waiting in lines Or walking any distance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

I agree. You really should think of buying it. Take a look on amazon they're very reasonable.

If you're looking at rollators on Amazon, don't forget to check the Amazon Warehouse.  There are lots to choose from in their Warehouse and you will save yourself some $$.   

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Warehouse/b?ie=UTF8&node=10158976011

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

Rollators are highly usable for not only cruises, but at home and outdoors.  Give this a try--I have had one for over two years and have never looked back.  By the way, this model folds up sideways and is very narrow then.

Amazon site is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZYD9JJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

39199091-EF51-406F-B69A-36013963BA9A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0ad7153a667712506749f990cc2db808.jpeg

That's a beauty.   Good point about using it before and after....I'm in Canada, and that particular Model is available on Amazon here, but a little more than I want to pay right now.  

18 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Yes, I see that they are under $200 for the kind I would consider, so probably just cost as much to rent.  I despair of the plane/bus travel with it.  Hubby might have to ride it while I get wheelchair assistance, LOL.

Thanks for the replies (and the possible discount code).  I have a lot to think about.  First time traveling in this condition.  Have taken a trip with my cane once, but with the pain and fatigue I felt, figured it might be just too much on this big ship.

• Like 1

I did the same, it was a nightmare and spoiled a lot of enjoyment really. I'm quite sure you'd be well off to take your own with you rather than rent and it would travel free of charge on the plane with you too ( gate checked, not loaded luggage). 

Incidentally,  the drive model mentioned earlier is designed to have its brake cables and stuff run inside its frame for a very clean uncluttered look, unlike many competitors which are very exposed in that department Even a careful plane stacker would have problems storing some of the very cheap ones without tangling them up, although storage bags are not dear. I have a drive nitro and it is an excellent machine that folds easily. I'm sure if you try one you'll wonder how you lived without it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:12 PM, GoHuskies! said:

Okay....convinced!  I just 'borrowed' one to use for the cruise (and try out over the winter, so I can get my rollator driving certificate).    Not quite as fancy but took advice about the covered brake cables for traveling in the plane hold, so less chance of 'tangling' with others.  (Not that mine seems particularly aggressive). 

31iAiSV-lHL._AC_.jpg

• Like 1

Now....more questions of course, LOL.

When travelling, how do you keep the unit from becoming 'unfolded' when they stow it in the plane?

What happens when one 'drives' the rollator to the MDR?   Does it have to stay outside, or will they find me a nice corner next to my table?

I'm sure I'll think of other things you can help me with.  What do you charge an hour?

Will your rollator stay folded up without coming unfolded?   If not, you could try some velcro strips or ties to tie it together to keep it from keeping unfolded.   

When you go to the dining room, your waiter will take your rollator and park it up front by where you enter the dining room (there will be others there, plus scooters).  This is done all the time.  They will bring it back to you when you are ready to leave.   If you have the right table away from others, you might be able to keep it by your table or in a corner.

No charge.   🙂

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Will your rollator stay folded up without coming unfolded?   If not, you could try some velcro strips or ties to tie it together to keep it from keeping unfolded.   

When you go to the dining room, your waiter will take your rollator and park it up front by where you enter the dining room (there will be others there, plus scooters).  This is done all the time.  They will bring it back to you when you are ready to leave.   If you have the right table away from others, you might be able to keep it by your table or in a corner.

No charge.   🙂

Thanks, will look into velcro strips and try that.  It does seem like it would pop open a bit depending on how it's carried, so thought the plane handlers might not worry about that, and THEN 😵😲

Hate to have to give the waiter more work than they already have, but I suppose it's better than falling in someone's soup, if I try to walk without it, eh?   If I thought I could get a table close to the entrance, I'd take a cane with me as well, and save the waiter the walk.

Thanks for the FREE answers.   Much appreciated.

I reckon you'll be happy you went this route, and it looks a nice machine too.

Your doubts about staying folded are right, it won't! But the suggested velcro straps will definitely work quickly and easily. Personally, if I am flying, I gate check it folded in the hope the loader can see what it is and take care of it, but I'd never let it be loaded from the check in desk, it would never survive. I'm told the airlines are very good at replacing mobility equipment they damage in short order but I have never proved that the hard way myself.

It's also worth ( at the last minute and right at the door) asking the crew if they have room in the closet for it, on newer planes they can be pretty large and I've always found the stewards helpful in that regard.

On board the boat it won't be in the way at all, as said you can leave it with the others outside the dining room or at the back in the theater if you can move about a bit with your cane. For the mild extra nuisance it causes taking it, it'll pay back a thousand times in making the trip easier and more enjoyable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dunchues said:

It's also worth ( at the last minute and right at the door) asking the crew if they have room in the closet for it, on newer planes they can be pretty large and I've always found the stewards helpful in that regard.

We are going to do this on an Alaska flight with a short connection time next month.  But I am going to advise the airline representatives at the check-in counter, at the gate and when we get to the plane's door that we want to use the wheelchair closet for a collapsible wheelchair.  There are specific federal rules regarding being able to stow a mobility aid in the wheelchair closet.  

This describes what kind of mobility aids may be brought inside the cabin of the plane:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-II/subchapter-D/part-382/subpart-I/section-382.121

John Morris does a good job of summarizing bringing a mobility device on an airplane:

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/flying-with-manual-wheelchair/

And he also has a summary of the Air Carrier Access Act:

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/air-carrier-access-act-summary/

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:32 PM, kokopelli-az said:

No charge.   🙂

I have a foot-long velcro strap wrapped around a rod of my rollator.  Generally I don't need to use it because the rollator doesn't want to fold out on its own, but it's there if I need it.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:32 PM, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Just want to add a comment that Medicare in the US will usually pay for a rollator if medically necessary.

Similar in Ontario, Canada - the Provincial Government will pay 75% of it if medically needed under the Assistive Devices Program (ADP).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bwgreen said:

Similar in Ontario, Canada - the Provincial Government will pay 75% of it if medically needed under the Assistive Devices Program (ADP).

Yes, if this works as well as I hope it will, I most likely will look into that once I'm back and have to return this rollator to it's owner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, kodidog said:

Yes, I see that they are under $200 for the kind I would consider, so probably just cost as much to rent.  I despair of the plane/bus travel with it.  Hubby might have to ride it while I get wheelchair assistance, LOL.

you can check it easily on airplane and pick it up with luggage, that's what we do.  use wheelchair in the airport.  The porters will bring it to your room on the ship if you want.  Sometimes my husband has been in wheelchair and i have used the rollator, where i can put my carryon, and get thru the terminal that way.  The ones that fold are not a problem for travel we find.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, suramom said:

you can check it easily on airplane and pick it up with luggage, that's what we do.  

I would not check any mobility equipment with my luggage.    Take it with you to the door of the plane.  Tell the airline personnel you want to gate check your mobility equipment.   It will be placed in the plane's hold along with the strollers etc.  You will pick it up as you get off the plane.  The last thing you need is your mobility equipment being lost or damaged being thrown in with all the luggage.    You will have less of a chance of damage if you gate check your equipment.    

• Like 2