Pier in San Juan

bsugar

Really hard to say this far out.  The Caribbean cruise season is just really starting up and San Juan will get pretty busy.  This is further complicated by San Juan having two distinct cruise terminal areas.  The one we’ve used the most on Silversea is right below what I call main or old San Juan area.  The other is kind of across the port next to a small executive airport.  It’s close as the crow flies but not walking distance as you have to get around a fairly major part of the port.  As I said we’ve usually docked in the older main town area but on the Dawn earlier this year we were on 14-day cruise that was actually two 7-day back to back cruises.  The changeover over port was main town terminal but the end of the next 7-day was the other terminal area by the executive airport.  

Hi Randy, the other pier is called "The Pan American" pier. Usually that is used for ships to start or end from. The pier in Old San Juan (what you are referring to) is usually used for a "port day". 

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Randy, the other pier is called "The Pan American" pier. Usually that is used for ships to start or end from. The pier in Old San Juan (what you are referring to) is usually used for a "port day". 

Maybe that’s the norm but we’ve started and ended cruises in San Juan four times and this was our first Pan American terminal experience.  As I said what was a port day for us and 50 +/- other passengers at the end of the first 7-day was end of cruise for 500 passengers.  The difference I noticed this time was the Dawn was the only cruise ship in port at either location.  Looking around when we disembarked certainly the Pan American facility is nicer but it is also somewhat isolated.   Once you’re there to embark there would not be much else to do.   

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

Maybe that’s the norm but we’ve started and ended cruises in San Juan four times and this was our first Pan American terminal experience.  As I said what was a port day for us and 50 +/- other passengers at the end of the first 7-day was end of cruise for 500 passengers.  The difference I noticed this time was the Dawn was the only cruise ship in port at either location.  Looking around when we disembarked certainly the Pan American facility is nicer but it is also somewhat isolated.   Once you’re there to embark there would not be much else to do.   

Oh, i agree with you.......the Pan American Pier offers nothing except getting on and off the ship. Any sightseeing is MUCH easier from the pier in Old San Juan.