Once a Day Cabin Service

pilot

On 11/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, RedIguana said:

All the cruise lines consider double occupancy to be full, with a minor correction for the ones with solo cabins. Double occupancy = 100%. Triples, quads, and the assorted others can bring the ship to maximum capacity, expressed as a percent over 100, such as 115%. I have been on sailings over !00% occupancy, a few close to 100% occupancy, and some well under 100% occupancy, both pre and post pandemic. It is not unusual for off season Florida cruises to be under 100%. I expect my December sailing to be less than 100%.

The amount of passengers clearly has an affect on housekeeping. Pullmans and sofa-beds do not set up and change themselves. Trash generated by 4 is usually greater than 2. 4 people use more towels than 2, and in my family, the young ladies use more towels than I.  Empty cabins do not have to be serviced twice a day.

We were on the Oasis in July. Double capacity is 5400. We were at almost full with almost 6800. Room service once a day was the least of our issues!!!!!! 

We were on Wonder last week and it’s only once a day cleaning , but our stateroom attendant had a hissy fit when we asked for extra towels. I have also seen on RCCL Blog that gratuities are going up if you book after November 11th for suites and balconies. Less service more money. Not good , because we all leave a little extra besides initial gratuities. 🤷🏻‍♀️

12 minutes ago, royalmariner24 said:

We were on Wonder last week and it’s only once a day cleaning , but our stateroom attendant had a hissy fit when we asked for extra towels. I have also seen on RCCL Blog that gratuities are going up if you book after November 11th for suites and balconies. Less service more money. Not good , because we all leave a little extra besides initial gratuities. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We respect (as we hope must do) all the different disciplines keeping the ship running and giving the passengers excellent service. Housekeeping once a day, not a fan but it is what it is. We realize they all work very hard at what they do. But we do expect simple request (s) to be honored. Time of day(not those time slots are full you get no choice)extra towels, ice, etc. We make it none of our business how many hours a day they work or how many cabins or tables they have or what their pay is. That's all between RC and their employees. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On my last 7-day cruise, I told the room steward I didn't need the room cleaned at all, though he did it once midweek.  (It was Alaska though, so I didn't need beach towels.) 

So, quite honestly, I'm preparing myself for the thread in a few years about "every other day" room service...  a lot of hotels have already gone to every third day!!

13 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

On my last 7-day cruise, I told the room steward I didn't need the room cleaned at all, though he did it once midweek.  (It was Alaska though, so I didn't need beach towels.) 

So, quite honestly, I'm preparing myself for the thread in a few years about "every other day" room service...  a lot of hotels have already gone to every third day!!

Last time I checked a hotel was not a cruise ship. Maybe you should tell the Chef you don’t need to eat everyday. 😂

14 minutes ago, pilot said:

Last time I checked a hotel was not a cruise ship. Maybe you should tell the Chef you don’t need to eat everyday. 😂

The hotel services part of a ship are very much like a hotel. I am not sure how there is a difference between a stateroom and a hotel room.   The head Chef is in charge of an entirely different part of the ship (oh, but there could be cutbacks too... MDR meals only included half the days? No included meals?  I don't see that happening mainstream, but EasyCruise existed for years without providing any included food.)

Many, many hotels no longer make your bed each day, nor provide daily fresh towels.  For me, that's no problem- I don't need my bed made each day, and I reuse towels.  I'm just saying, the more hotels manage to get away with this, it's coming for cruise ships.  Once a day service used to be completely unheard of...  give it a few years.

1 hour ago, skittl1321 said:

The hotel services part of a ship are very much like a hotel. I am not sure how there is a difference between a stateroom and a hotel room.   The head Chef is in charge of an entirely different part of the ship (oh, but there could be cutbacks too... MDR meals only included half the days? No included meals?  I don't see that happening mainstream, but EasyCruise existed for years without providing any included food.)

Many, many hotels no longer make your bed each day, nor provide daily fresh towels.  For me, that's no problem- I don't need my bed made each day, and I reuse towels.  I'm just saying, the more hotels manage to get away with this, it's coming for cruise ships.  Once a day service used to be completely unheard of...  give it a few years.

I don’t agree that hotel services are the same at a hotel and a cruise. Housekeeping is built in the cost of a hotel room. On a cruise you are charged a daily gratuity fee (unless you remove the charge) that goes to your Stateroom Attendant. You are paying for this service and now receiving half of the previous service for an increased cost. 

I totally agree with you that I don’t need my bed made each day and I can reuse my towels, but cruises have always been a little special. 

Royal Caribbean has now joined Carnival and Norwegian in reducing service. So far only Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America have maintained twice a day service. Not sure for how long.