Once a Day Cabin Service

pilot

On 10/26/2023 at 2:23 PM, pilot said:

We were on the Quantum in June for an Alaska cruise. RCCL had gone to once a day cabin service. 
 We asked for morning service and our steward did a nice job. At the time I thought no big deal. 

We are currently on a 12 day Regal Princess cruise. Princess still has twice a day service and they claim there are no plans to change. 

I have to admit it was nice to come back from breakfast and the room was clean. Also after coming back from dinner there was a turn down service. Nice that there were no wet towels on the floor all night. 

Again not a big deal, but a nice touch that makes cruising a little special. 

In my opinion it is a big deal, if you come back from lunch and your room still isn't made up.  This was our experience on the Oasis that past July and don't blame the room steward at all but do blame

RCI Management for filling the ship with 6800 passengers when double is occupancy is 5400.  Higher Ups most likely never considered this could be a potential issue since the crew numbers were cut back staff and there is just so much one person can accomplish daily.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:52 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

We have adjusted to once a day as long as it’s evening service.  That said, it less for more.

My biggest issue with once a day is the trash is overflowing from latitude cups and other trash and I really dislike dirty dishes/glasses in the cabin. There’s no room to put them in a balcony or lower. Sometimes I get irritated and put them outside the door which I also dislike but I’ve decided that’s what I’m going to do with them from now on. Otherwise the tiny table becomes a Jinga tower. 

We were on Oasis over the summer and I took my dishes to find a place to put them as I don't like leaving them in the hall. I saw someone with a cart with dirty dishes and asked if they could take them- they did, but told me next time it is easier to leave them in the hall, so that is what we did for the rest of the trip. It seems as though that is acceptable and recommended.

• Like 1

On the Mariner, our room steward asked if we wanted the room made up in the morning or afternoon. We took the morning time. No problem. He was there when we were out except for one time. When that happened, we just moved out to the balcony to get out of his way. Once a day does not bother us since we do not eat in our room.

Some rooms were opened as the stewards were working. We peered in as we went by. I do not know how they got through some rooms as they looked like a tornado had hit. Stuff all over the place including cans, dishes, towels, let alone belongings..

• Like 1

On Serenade last month, we had morning service as our room steward requested.   But each evening he'd stop briefly to see if we needed more ice or towels.   We often switched our damp towels for a fresh set.   Took just a few minutes of his time, and we didn't need any additional services.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

In my opinion it is a big deal, if you come back from lunch and your room still isn't made up.  This was our experience on the Oasis that past July and don't blame the room steward at all but do blame RCI Management for filling the ship with 6800 passengers when double is occupancy is 5400.  Higher Ups most likely never considered this could be a potential issue since the crew numbers were cut back staff and there is just so much one person can accomplish daily.  

Not a big deal.

That is exactly what RCI did....

If a cabin steward spends 30 minutes to do a daytime service of a room, and the room steward works 10 hours a day, 7 days a week (used to be doing 2 services), then that room steward should be able to clean 20 rooms. But it also means that one passenger's room is at the start of the steward's 10 hour shift, and one passenger's room is at the 10 hour shift. Sucks to be the last, but if you have the "do not disturb" out when the steward passes the first time,,, you move to the back of the line. 

The number of passengers onboard is totally irrelevant. The room steward is not cleaning a person. They are cleaning a room. 

When we book loft suites, we actually get two room stewards, one for up stairs and one for down stairs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Some rooms were opened as the stewards were working. We peered in as we went by. I do not know how they got through some rooms as they looked like a tornado had hit. Stuff all over the place including cans, dishes, towels, let alone belongings.

It's amazing, isn't it?  It makes me wonder if those people can find any of their belongings at home.  

• Haha 1

The issue isn’t if you need once a day or twice a day service. It’s the level of service the cruise line you choose offers. 

Of the main stream lines Carnival, Norwegian, and RCCL provides once a day. Celebrity, Holland America, and Princess still provides twice a day (at least for now). 

I believe the daily tips are close to the same on all 6 lines. 

• Like 2

We didn't mind the 1 x day service, recently experienced on the Jewel Transatlantic. We're early risers, and we opted for morning service. And honestly, I didn't mind not having the evening visit. I agree with the poster who liked not having to tidy up a bit, in anticipation of the steward/ess coming in at night. If I had "dainties" hanging up to dry, I would always hide them away prior to leaving for dinner, then hang them up again when we returned. Now, I don't have to worry about that.

One point though, our steward told me that the majority of his guests had requested morning service and that was a little challenging for him. But not for us, we were the first cabin he cleaned, and his timing was impeccable.

However, I can understand the discussion about gratuities and reduced service.

Edited by AC Stew
  • Like 2

On my recent cruise last week I had a junior suite so it was still twice a day for us. My next cruise in June of next year is a regular balcony cabin so I know it will be a big adjustment from 2 a day to 1 a day. We never leave a mess in the room anyway and not make the bed but usually pull the covers up. When you see the room steward in the hallways you know you can give them your dirty towels and they will give you clean ones if you need to have them changed out rather than leaving them in the floor. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

In my opinion it is a big deal, if you come back from lunch and your room still isn't made up.  This was our experience on the Oasis that past July and don't blame the room steward at all but do blame

RCI Management for filling the ship with 6800 passengers when double is occupancy is 5400.  Higher Ups most likely never considered this could be a potential issue since the crew numbers were cut back staff and there is just so much one person can accomplish daily.  

Find me a cruise ship that considers double occupancy to be full occupancy.

The assessment of passengers on board is incorrect and irrelevant

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not a big deal.

That is exactly what RCI did....

If a cabin steward spends 30 minutes to do a daytime service of a room, and the room steward works 10 hours a day, 7 days a week (used to be doing 2 services), then that room steward should be able to clean 20 rooms. But it also means that one passenger's room is at the start of the steward's 10 hour shift, and one passenger's room is at the 10 hour shift. Sucks to be the last, but if you have the "do not disturb" out when the steward passes the first time,,, you move to the back of the line. 

The number of passengers onboard is totally irrelevant. The room steward is not cleaning a person. They are cleaning a room. 

When we book loft suites, we actually get two room stewards, one for up stairs and one for down stairs. 

And you don't think it takes more time to clean a room with 3 or 4 occupants as opposed to 2. That's more beds to make, especially if the bed linens need to be changed. More time cleaning the bathroom based on the condition it's left in, more towels to replace, etc, etc, etc. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Find me a cruise ship that considers double occupancy to be full occupancy.

The assessment of passengers on board is incorrect and irrelevant

Unless you were on our sailing, how would you know the assessment was incorrect? Pretty sure the Captain wouldn't have announced the number if it wasn't!!!   

As for irrelevant, it certainly was relevant. In addition, the list of dirty/filthy areas on the ship, especially the Windjammer was appauling!!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Unless you were on our sailing, how would you know the assessment was incorrect? Pretty sure the Captain wouldn't have announced the number if it wasn't!!!   

As for irrelevant, it certainly was relevant. In addition, the list of dirty/filthy areas on the ship, especially the Windjammer was appauling!!! 

It is irrelevant because a ship NEVER sails at double occupancy, never ever ever. 
Regardless of how many people are onboard the number of rooms to clean remains the same. 

I am sorry, but your insinuation that the amount of passengers on board has an affect on the housekeeping is just silly. The number of crew members cleaning has not changed dramatically. They may be assigned to other areas than staterooms, but the staff is there 

18 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

And you don't think it takes more time to clean a room with 3 or 4 occupants as opposed to 2. That's more beds to make, especially if the bed linens need to be changed. More time cleaning the bathroom based on the condition it's left in, more towels to replace, etc, etc, etc. 

And if the steward is still performing the same number of “services per day” then it absolutely doesn’t matter. 

On 10/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, pilot said:

The issue isn’t if you need once a day or twice a day service. It’s the level of service the cruise line you choose offers. 

Of the main stream lines Carnival, Norwegian, and RCCL provides once a day. Celebrity, Holland America, and Princess still provides twice a day (at least for now). 

I believe the daily tips are close to the same on all 6 lines. 

princess is 16.00 per day

On 10/26/2023 at 1:05 PM, reallyitsmema said:

We are on Serenade now and this is our first time experiencing once a day cabin service as we are only sailing in a balcony this week. We chose morning service and have had no problems at all. 

We got off Serenade last Sunday, so hope you've enjoyed the beautiful ports and that the pretty leaves were still around.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 12:08 AM, brillohead said:

It's amazing, isn't it?  It makes me wonder if those people can find any of their belongings at home.  

Wonder if it was occupied by the kids.  When my daughter went on those week-long trips to visit DC, etc., she'd tell me how messy her friends had the hotel rooms (clothes on floor, things all over the place).

• Like 1

We bring the dishes to the cart in the hall collecting dishes.  Have done this on multiple cruises.

We are currently on the Vision in a JS and have 2x a day.  I told our attendant just make up room in evening and replace towels.  Idgaf about the bed being made.

We got off Serenade last Sunday and were given the choice of morning or evening, although I did try to look sad when he said only one.  It's funny because our friends who occupied 2 rooms down the hall both told him they only want once every 2 days😁  I was like, "What?!" 

We do return to the room mid afternoon and sometimes eat/shower before dinner, so it's mostly about the wet towel on the floor, emptying garbage can, and taking away glassware.  It was maybe already day 5 or 6 when I realized i could have asked for 2 floor towels.  I'll remember next time.

We just returned yesterday, and -- yes -- I minded the reduction in cabin service.  Minded it a lot.  On the first day our guy came by and asked if we wanted morning or evening; my husband piped up quickly with "Evening", which turned out to be a mistake.  Here's how it went: 

- We woke fairly early most days and went to breakfast, then the pool or off the ship for an island stop.  It was a bummer to return to the room and find it wasn't "straightened up" like in the past.  We pulled the sheets up and put the pillows back in place, but we'd still have trash and dishes from the previous day and no fresh towels. 

- As they day went on, we'd be in and out of the cabin, and we'd add to the mess -- again, the biggest issues are trash, dishes and towels.  

- Then as we were dressing for dinner, the steward'd show up to clean the room!  We adapted by dressing earlier and heading out for a walk before dinner -- but it was an imposition to be forced to alter our pattern. 

- After dinner our room would be straightened up and lovely, but we almost always bring our dessert back to the room /enjoy it before bed -- so we'd immediately create more dishes.  And we'd mess up the bed almost immediately again.  

Admittedly, a part of this is that morning service would've worked better for us, but reduced cabin service 100% detracted from the cruise for us.  We are particularly concerned about our upcoming cruise because our daughter's coming with us, and she'll be sleeping on the sofa bed.  We'll be paying the higher gratuities for 3 people, and I fear we'll be stepping around the sofa bedding all day.  

I'd be FINE with a real service in the morning, then just a "refresh" in the evening -- trash, dishes, towels.  I'd also be happier if they provided a spot on each hall for dishes.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We just returned yesterday, and -- yes -- I minded the reduction in cabin service.  Minded it a lot.  On the first day our guy came by and asked if we wanted morning or evening; my husband piped up quickly with "Evening", which turned out to be a mistake.  Here's how it went: 

- We woke fairly early most days and went to breakfast, then the pool or off the ship for an island stop.  It was a bummer to return to the room and find it wasn't "straightened up" like in the past.  We pulled the sheets up and put the pillows back in place, but we'd still have trash and dishes from the previous day and no fresh towels. 

- As they day went on, we'd be in and out of the cabin, and we'd add to the mess -- again, the biggest issues are trash, dishes and towels.  

- Then as we were dressing for dinner, the steward'd show up to clean the room!  We adapted by dressing earlier and heading out for a walk before dinner -- but it was an imposition to be forced to alter our pattern. 

- After dinner our room would be straightened up and lovely, but we almost always bring our dessert back to the room /enjoy it before bed -- so we'd immediately create more dishes.  And we'd mess up the bed almost immediately again.  

Admittedly, a part of this is that morning service would've worked better for us, but reduced cabin service 100% detracted from the cruise for us.  We are particularly concerned about our upcoming cruise because our daughter's coming with us, and she'll be sleeping on the sofa bed.  We'll be paying the higher gratuities for 3 people, and I fear we'll be stepping around the sofa bedding all day.  

I'd be FINE with a real service in the morning, then just a "refresh" in the evening -- trash, dishes, towels.  I'd also be happier if they provided a spot on each hall for dishes.  

You do not need to change your schedule for the cabin steward, you should have told them what your dining schedule was and when you would be out of your cabin.  If evening service was such an issue for you, ask to change to morning.  Towels is another easy fix, ask for two sets of towels.  We asked day one and had two sets all week long.  We easily pile our dishes in a corner of the vanity and trash was only full on one day.  We had no issue at all with service once a day and actually preferred it.  We don't need our cabin straightened up, we don't leave it a mess.  We saw our steward in the corridor and he would ask if we were all set.  We aren't high maintenance and found it was not a big deal for us to have once a day service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

You do not need to change your schedule for the cabin steward, you should have told them what your dining schedule was and when you would be out of your cabin.  If evening service was such an issue for you, ask to change to morning.  Towels is another easy fix, ask for two sets of towels.  We asked day one and had two sets all week long.  We easily pile our dishes in a corner of the vanity and trash was only full on one day.  We had no issue at all with service once a day and actually preferred it.  We don't need our cabin straightened up, we don't leave it a mess.  We saw our steward in the corridor and he would ask if we were all set.  We aren't high maintenance and found it was not a big deal for us to have once a day service.

Well, our experiences were different.  I strongly prefer twice a day service, especially as we're now paying more for once a day.  

- We're not going to ask the cabin steward to change his schedule once he's set up for the week; doesn't seem "nice".  And we didn't dine at the same time each evening. 

- Having extra towels doesn't make the dirty ones disappear.  

- We didn't leave a mess either -- are not high maintenance -- but we missed the straightening up and the towels being change, the trash being emptied.  

• Like 4