M3 traffic

Bin man

Took 60 min for 15 miles on the M3 this afternoon. Only good point was 90 mpg out of my Toyota yaris and ev time of 65% and driving skills of 97 out of a 100.Certainly the worst we have seen it 34 visits to Eastleigh/ Southampton from sunny Scunny . Boarding time tomorrow 12-00 might have to give more time from Eastleigh at that rate 

• Like 3

Presumably an accident or the aftermath of one? We join the M3 from the A34 at Winchester and on our last 3 or 4 trips down there over the past few months we’ve had no problems at all, especially as the long term roadworks at the bottom of the M3 are pretty much finished now. 

That being said, in order to avoid cruise, football and (when on) Boat Show traffic, I leave the M3 quite quickly and cut through Eastleigh to Southampton Airport and then down through Swaythling to the docks. Touch wood, never had any problems going that way. 

• Like 2

From Andover my sat-nav shows two routes, with three minutes between them.

With the first we enter Southampton by the M271.

The second takes us in by the M3.

@Selbourne, the turn off from the M3 you refer to, is that at J12, then along the A335, and right past the airport?

Or would we be best sticking with the first route, and staying well away from St Mary's?

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

From Andover my sat-nav shows two routes, with three minutes between them.

With the first we enter Southampton by the M271.

The second takes us in by the M3.

@Selbourne, the turn off from the M3 you refer to, is that at J12, then along the A335, and right past the airport?

Or would we be best sticking with the first route, and staying well away from St Mary's?

Hi. Yes, I use the A335 from the first Eastleigh turn off, through Eastleigh, past Southampton Airport, under the M27 and then in to Southampton, forking left after Swaythling Station and then skirting around the edge of the city centre down to the waterfront. If the traffic is OK it’s probably quicker (and much easier) to just to stick to the M3, M27, M271 route, or M3 and A33 through Southampton, especially if your Sat Nav is like mine and gives very accurate live traffic info and re-calculates your route around or away from congestion. I know Southampton well, so tend to just instinctively use a route that I know is never affected by cruise, football or boat show traffic. 

Whilst I read regular horror stories on this forum about traffic getting to Southampton, I can honestly say that in all our cruises, plus as many (or more) trips to the Isle of Wight, I can only recall one or two journeys where I’ve had delays of 30 mins or more and that was well before Southampton. Hopefully that’s not tempting fate 😂 

• Thanks 1

Selbourne, that is also our preferred route, especially if heading for Ocean terminal. Have found an overnight at the Premier Inn, Southampton Airport, then following your route the next morning works a treat.

Good luck this morning, and have a great cruise.

• Like 1

Left Eastleigh premier inn 10.45 filled up with petrol arrived at terminal 11.30 am onboard for 12.15 pm so that was pretty smoth going considering football traffic etc cabins just announced they are ready 

• Like 2

Ditto yesterday, gave myself 5 hours to do a 2.5 hour trip.  Only problem was on the A34 around Oxford.  Rest was plain sailing.  Even had time to visit the Gold Arches at Tot Hill to kill some time.  Rolled into terminal at 13:50 and was on board at 14:31 and most of that was sorting me wheels and handing over the keys.  17 mins from handing keys over to being on board.  Rather be early than late.  And to be fair I've never been refused early boarding.