Tuxedo Rental

agathasmum

In May, it was $80 for jacket, trousers and shirt.  You have to buy the bow tie. No shoes.  They had a reasonable selection of sizes.  Thanks to United, I had no luggage for 2/3rd of an 18-day cruise but Cunard kindly comped the rental.. I am just glad I flew in passable black shoes!!

• Like 2

Re eBay, Bought an Ivory Tux at £60 and Black for £30. Both new with labels. Plus £50 total between them in delivery and import shipping from UK to France. Black was perfect for immediate use. Ivory was dusty as if it had been in a stock room. I unpacked on QM2 and left the Ivory out with a note for stewardess for it to be cleaned. Returned clean the following evening, fee $7. Pockets were still a bit damp but I didn't plan to wear it that night and it had plenty of time to air.

Both of those adverts are still on eBay.co.uk in different sizes.

I also bought made to measure from "Hockerty.com". It's nice but I prefer the two from eBay.

I had perfectly good M&S dinner suits, but as my wife lost more than 30% of her weight and many dress sizes I followed same regime with larger portion sizes and couldn't help dropping from 42" chest to 38". I tried shrinking the old ivory tux but while partly successful it still looked too big.

I spent a bit more time on the new Ivory. It came with cream plastic buttons. I transferred all the satin covered buttons from the old tux to make it look a bit more upmarket.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Since this will only be the first of many Cunard trips, it's time to buy! But also have a look on eBay and charity shops too. The cost of an excellent tux is often almost at give-away prices.

LOL, this is our 3rd QM2 cruise, and husband has a tux but it appears to have "shrunk" 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, agathasmum said:

LOL, this is our 3rd QM2 cruise, and husband has a tux but it appears to have "shrunk" 🙂

In that case I suggest he hires or buys the cheapest he can. Or wear a dark suit, white shirt and bow tie.

Longer term a better option is to "un-shrink" the tux, but it's unlikely that could be achieved in a sustainable manner in the time you have before sailing. It might offer all sorts of other benefits.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 8:28 PM, BigMac1953 said:

...either that or go to Marks and Spencer's and get one for £100

Or a dark suit from Primark  for 50 notes. Tuxedo/Dinner suit is not compulsory on  formal night, dark bag of fruit is fine.