How to save space while traveling via air

shiner6

32 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Yes I'm sure it can if you are one of those people who want to do that.

I am not. 

And no one is going to make you. The nice thing is there are options for everyone. I have done it both ways and prefer carry on only but with more weight allowance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 5:58 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Check out the 5-4-3-2-1 packing system on Pinterest; I use a modified version.  

I know it's been a hot minute since you posted this, but I have a couple questions:

1) Does the 5-4-3-2-1 counts include what you're wearing on travel day?   such as the three pants - is that 2 in the bag one on your bottom?
2) what kind of modifications do you do?  Extra tops, pj's, less underwear/bras?
3) if going for 2 weeks with limited or no access to laundry would you double the numbers or hand wash and hope for things to dry nicely?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TPgal said:

I know it's been a hot minute since you posted this, but I have a couple questions:

1) Does the 5-4-3-2-1 counts include what you're wearing on travel day?   such as the three pants - is that 2 in the bag one on your bottom?
2) what kind of modifications do you do?  Extra tops, pj's, less underwear/bras?
3) if going for 2 weeks with limited or no access to laundry would you double the numbers or hand wash and hope for things to dry nicely?

The 5-4-3-2-1 concept is meant to be a guideline /a starting place, not a rigid set of rules.  Thoughts: 

- Typically I'd include the pants I'm wearing as one of the three bottoms, BUT if it were a longer trip, a place where I might get sweaty and need to change more often, or just a more dressy place, I might pack three.  

- Note that the big deal is that all the separates will work together.  

-  Modifications would be based upon the trip.  For a cruise, I'd bring more swimsuits /cover ups.  For Yellowstone, I'd bring more socks.  For a lazy beach trip where we'd hang around playing board games in the living room, I'd pack more PJs.  

- For two weeks, I'd increase the clothing but probably wouldn't double it.  For example, I'd probably count on jeans and dark pants /skirts being "enough" for two weeks.  Ditto for shoes and jackets /layering pieces.  But I'd bring more blouses for two weeks.  

- I wouldn't hope things'd dry nicely.  I'd test them at home.  

Good luck with your packing.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 8:19 PM, Number12 said:

I put my medications in small zip lock bags and bring the printed sheet the pharmacy gives me.  Not bringing the bottles saves a lot of space.

Amazon sells pocket pharmacy containers that are really small and I de-pot my pills into the little pocket pharmacy container. The container comes with labels so you can label what's inside. To get these containers it's like $5 for a pack of four or something, they're really affordable. I don't even need four I just use one but the four pack is a cheap option.

• Like 1