How to save space while traveling via air

shiner6

IMG_5773.thumb.jpeg.723031bae8c08368200cf871e0e56600.jpegI use these wonderful hair products when traveling. Because they stay damp after using, I repurposed garlic nets to hold the products! They are easy to use through the netting and they hang up to dry. 

• Like 7

Personally, I find this topic to often be counter-productive to my idea of space saving. It usually involves bringing a bunch of extra organizers and whatnot in an already limited space. I absolutely hate clutter in the cabin. Since there's only 2 of us, we really don't have issues with having enough room in the supplied closets, shelves, and drawers. I like walking in the room, and it looks just like I did when I boarded the ship.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Personally, I find this topic to often be counter-productive to my idea of space saving. It usually involves bringing a bunch of extra organizers and whatnot in an already limited space. I absolutely hate clutter in the cabin. Since there's only 2 of us, we really don't have issues with having enough room in the supplied closets, shelves, and drawers. I like walking in the room, and it looks just like I did when I boarded the ship.

I agree.  Those travel size ( 100 ml) refillable shampoo and conditioner bottles.  Travel size toothpaste/soap.disinfectant wipes.  I have travel sized hot rollers/blow dryer.  This all fits in 2,1- gallon baggies. Meds, clothes and power strip (one of those without a surge protector).  The 2 cruises I went solo ( without hubbs ) I had everything in a carry on and a 22 inch suitcase for a 7 night cruise.  Even had room for all the  Easter candy I had brought for my nieces/nephews. 28 cruises and have it down pretty well.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I guess I should have made my title " How to save space while traveling via air".  I was merely trying to help others by sharing my experience and thought that perhaps others might have a secret or two to share that hasn't been on here recently.  I agree about the clutter, we have  been consciously deleting items that we really do not have to have when flying. It is very freeing. 

• Like 4

• Host Kat changed the title to How to save space while traveling via air
5 hours ago, shiner6 said:

I guess I should have made my title " How to save space while traveling via air"...

Howdy @shiner6

Fixed that for you! 🙂

Also, since your topic is off topic on a specific cruise line's forum, I have moved your topic to another forum where it will fit in better. 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

You can get flat pak soap bags on Amazon (Matador is the brand that started them, I think, but I've got an off-brand from Amazon that works just fine.) They're magic - they allow the soap to dry, but don't leak or make a mess. I use one at the pool, as it allows me to use my bar bodywash and then tuck it back into my toiletry kit without worrying about it making everything messy or the bar dissolving from being put away wet. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shiner6 said:

I was merely trying to help others by sharing my experience and thought that perhaps others might have a secret or two to share that hasn't been on here recently.  I agree about the clutter, we have  been consciously deleting items that we really do not have to have when flying.

Hi Shiner!

I only saw your thread after it had been re-named and moved. I saw at once that you meant saving space on the plane (not managing space in the cruise cabin). 

My tricks for carry-on-only airline travels are: (1) only liquids and pastes go in the 3-1-1 bag. This means separating your toothbrush from toothpaste, razor from shaving cream, detangler comb from shampoo. BUT the solid items can go it a sturdier, larger, non-ziplock bag! (2) just because you can bring 3oz (3.4oz to be exact) of any one thing, that doesn't mean you should. I have 1-, 2-, and 3-oz go-toobs, and several go-tubs (much smaller) for specific things. Not sure how much shampoo you need? Fill the middle-sized tube and put it in your shower, mark the calendar! (3) MEDICINES -- guaifenesin and dextromethorphan are available in tablet form so you won't have to try to purchase cough syrup onboard or in ports!

Final thoughts: it is not only when flying that deleting extra things makes sense. We will be driving to our next (35-day!) cruise, but I still plan to pack slightly over one-week's clothing for each of us, and use the ship's laundry. (HAL has VERY good laundry, following special-care instructions.) Everything you pack, has to be re-packed! And, it seems to grow!

• Like 6

Prescription medication don’t count as part of your liquids when flying. I keep all my meds in one bag including liquids. Instead of bringing an OTC cream I bring the prescription one so it doesn’t count for my liquids.

One medium checked luggage and a personal item is all im bringing for my 15 night cruise. I tried figuring out carry on only but couldn’t with the amount of liquids I needed to bring. My best tip is the bring a small bottle of Soak which is a no rinse wash and wash some of your clothing as you go. I plan on bringing only enough clothes for 7 days but will mix and match to create new outfits.

• Like 2

not sure if this counts as a plane tip but since laundry was mentioned -   I have found laundry sheets very useful..

Instead of bringing liquid laundry wash or powder or soap, the laundry sheets take next t o no space and have next to no weight and don't need to be wrapped in anything, as they won't leak or spill.

• Like 4

On 11/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, ZoeyVictoria said:

Very clever!  All I have to contribute is using clear plastic newspaper bags from Amazon to pack and store my flip flops and sandals. 

I put my shoes into plastic grocery bags.  

On 11/1/2023 at 10:19 PM, Number12 said:

I put my medications in small zip lock bags and bring the printed sheet the pharmacy gives me.  Not bringing the bottles saves a lot of space.

Love those small ziplocks. 

On 11/2/2023 at 4:01 PM, slidergirl said:

My solid shampoo from Lush takes up no more room than another 3oz bottle and lasts a whole lot longer, like month longer.  Lush has a metal container that holds it, so no big deal.  It doesn't seem to get messy or dissolve. 

I have that metal holder too!  I prefer liquid shampoo, but the solid has its perks for travel.  

3 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Instead of bringing liquid laundry wash or powder or soap, the laundry sheets take next t o no space 

Use the questionable quality all-in-one shampoo in the showers for your hand washing.  

Other thoughts: 

- Minimize your shoes.  More than any other clothing item, they are space hogs.  

- Wear your most bulky shoes -- probably tennis shoes -- on the plane.  

- Do you have a pair of old shoes you're about to throw out?  Could you wear them on the trip, then abandon them when you come home?  Ditto for night gowns and underwear.  

- Wear your hat on the plane.  

- If you need a jacket, wear that on the plane too.  

- Pack 2-3 shirts to match every pair of shorts (or skirts, pants).  Check out the 5-4-3-2-1 packing system on Pinterest; I use a modified version.  

- Forget trying to make everything the same color scheme -- no point.  Instead, think in "pods" -- a pair of pink shorts + 2 shirts to match ... an olive green skirt + 2 shirts to match.  And don't try to wear all black; you're on vacation!  

- Not only will people not care that you wear the same dress or top twice ... if it's a simple, sold color, they probably won't even notice.  

- Pack mix-and-match swimsuits .... they're popular these days.  For example, I have a pink/blue floral tankini top + a polka-dotted bikini top that both match the same navy bikini bottoms.  Lands End stuff is great for this, as their colors match.  

- Pack your small clothes (underwear, bras, swimsuits) first and tuck them between the indents created by your suitcase handle.  Then pack shorts, tees, etc. on top of them.  

- Fold like Marie Kondo.  She's probably insane, but she's also a genius.  

- If your suitcase "unzips" to give about 2" extra space, don't unzip it for the outgoing trip.  Save that 2" for the return trip.  

- If liquids are a big problem (like sunscreen for a Caribbean cruise), consider mailing yourself a package of toiletries to your night-before hotel ... OR place an order to be picked up at a CVS in your port city.  

- If rain is expected, pick up disposable ponchos from the dollar store or Amazon.  About the size of a man's wallet, they can keep you going in the rain ... but they're single use.  

- Be sure your carry on can double as a beach bag or island bag.  I'm solidly on team Hands Free, so I always go with a backpack.  

- Super important:  In your attempt to pack small, don't lie to yourself about your real needs.  For example, don't skip the shoes you really need, ample sunscreen, or Tylenol.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Use the questionable quality all-in-one shampoo in the showers for your hand washing.  

Yes you can do that. 

I find the laundry sheets so convenient though. Not just for cruising, also other types of holidays, hand or machine washing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Yes you can do that. 

I find the laundry sheets so convenient though. Not just for cruising, also other types of holidays, hand or machine washing. 

I use laundry sheets for my washing at home also.  Takes up minimal space on the dryer top, unlike those big bottles of detergent! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I use laundry sheets for my washing at home also.  Takes up minimal space on the dryer top, unlike those big bottles of detergent! 

I use a laundry powder which only uses one tablespoon per load. Off course I save a bundle by buying it at Costco which lasts me upwards of 5 years though. Not much storage savings but my skin doesn’t react to it and I love it. For travel I have “pods” from the same brand ill carry one or two in case I need to do a load of laundry.

For hand washing I prefer the liquid because I don’t have to rinse it out. I’m pretty sure the sheets need to be rinsed out.

3 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I use a laundry powder which only uses one tablespoon per load. Off course I save a bundle by buying it at Costco which lasts me upwards of 5 years though. Not much storage savings but my skin doesn’t react to it and I love it. For travel I have “pods” from the same brand ill carry one or two in case I need to do a load of laundry.

For hand washing I prefer the liquid because I don’t have to rinse it out. I’m pretty sure the sheets need to be rinsed out.

I always rinse.  Never knew there was a "no-rinse" option.  

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I always rinse.  Never knew there was a "no-rinse" option.  

Ya Soak is my favorite. It’s developed for delicates and knitwear. I usually fill the sink before I hop in the shower and put my clothes in. Once I get out of the shower I squeeze (don’t wring) my clothes out then lay it on a dry towel and roll it up before stepping on it to get as much liquid out as possible. Hang to dry on the clothes line in the shower and it’s dry before I get in the shower then next time usually.

I don’t wash everything by hand like this but with smart packing I can wash some items during the trip and get through a 2.5 week trip without sending anything out. The most important part is to ask your steward for extra towels. On the days I wash my hair and laundry I go through 4 towels.

• Like 1

I rinsed the items out after washing with the sheets - the sheets are just sort of dried soap, they disintegrate into soap as soon as  you put them in water.

Before discovering laundry sheets I always rinsed out whatever product I used before so no difference to me in that regard.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2023 at 2:01 PM, slidergirl said:

My solid shampoo from Lush takes up no more room than another 3oz bottle and lasts a whole lot longer, like month longer.  Lush has a metal container that holds it, so no big deal.  It doesn't seem to get messy or dissolve. 

I also use bars for shampoo & conditioner, because they don’t have to be in the liquids bag…which has a lot of sunscreen.

Edited by Truepeacenik

Next cruise will be for 8 days and I’m also bringing some camping gear. I’m going carry on only. Yesterday I ordered compression packing cubes for bulky items like my favourite fleece. I’ll report back how they work when I get them.