Almost Live …. Sailing Aboard the NCL Viva on Her Maiden Trans-Atlantic

ColdCruise

We had a relaxed day today, its a sea day after all!

Morning - room service breakfast, lazing on the super balcony enjoying the temps in the 70s

Afternoon - black glass wine tasting with macarons (cassis & mango); Latitudes Wine Around the World, couple hours in the spa.

Evening - dinner at Hudsons (MDR) with a window seat in the middle providing a good view of V!va’s wake; chat with a couple YouTubers we often watch; Press Your Luck game show -pre-show energizer:

image.thumb.jpg.adb6fc29b9d48503f4df790f94cca814.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luvtoride said:

Cold, you mentioned Butler and Concierge...so you are in The Haven?  Any comments on Haven lounge, restaurant, pool areas, etc?  We are sailing on the VIVA Haven in January of 2025.  Enjoy your journey.  

no way @luvtoride! Thats my user name on another forum!  🐎 or 🏍️ or 🎢?

We’re actually in a non-Haven suite, so I can’t help with describing the public-private areas. Sorry.

I did get to visit an HE during the CC cabin crawl yesterday - very nice decor, fantastic shower, good balcony space. The couch thingy was a bit weird -  only negatives I saw was that and the room size for the list price.

A couple Haven guys said they were spending more time in Vibe than in Haven - better bar service and food access. FWIW

I’m glad I cancelled our upgrade bid because our SJ is so much bigger than the HE, which is what I’d bid on. And that size has come in handy this week. 

I hope you enjoy your January cruise, and you’ll love your Haven suite!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

no way @luvtoride! Thats my user name on another forum!  🐎 or 🏍️ or 🎢?

We’re actually in a non-Haven suite, so I can’t help with describing the public-private areas. Sorry.

I did get to visit an HE during the CC cabin crawl yesterday - very nice decor, fantastic shower, good balcony space. The couch thingy was a bit weird -  only negatives I saw was that and the room size for the list price.

A couple Haven guys said they were spending more time in Vibe than in Haven - better bar service and food access. FWIW

I’m glad I cancelled our upgrade bid because our SJ is so much bigger than the HE, which is what I’d bid on. And that size has come in handy this week. 

I hope you enjoy your January cruise, and you’ll love your Haven suite!

Cold,Really?? what a small world! I ride Bikes 🚴‍♂️.  Used to be long distance road bikes now a Bike that goes nowhere…Peloton.  What do you ride?  

What is Category SJ?  Sounds like you have a great Cabin.  We just came back from a cruise in The Haven and loved the experience.  How’s  the Thermal Suite Spa on Viva.  I assume they have that as was on the Escape.  We spent most of our on ship leisure time there on this “cool weather” cruise from NY to Bermuda.  

1 hour ago, luvtoride said:

Cold,Really?? what a small world! I ride Bikes 🚴‍♂️.  Used to be long distance road bikes now a Bike that goes nowhere…Peloton.  What do you ride?  

What is Category SJ?  Sounds like you have a great Cabin.  We just came back from a cruise in The Haven and loved the experience.  How’s  the Thermal Suite Spa on Viva.  I assume they have that as was on the Escape.  We spent most of our on ship leisure time there on this “cool weather” cruise from NY to Bermuda.  

🐴 🐎 & 🎢 

SJ are master bedroom suites (2 rooms essentially) - see up thread for photos. Love the room, only thing missing is the jetted shower. However I think some may be better than others due to location of the drop port side and slides on starboard. 

Spa is the same as on Prima. I like it but like Epics better (just not a fan of Epic otherwise). The jets in the pool are all at same level and too strong. Can only get ankle area and lower curve of my back unless I dunk my head and. Lounge area is great - good variety of loungers, heated or padded. Wet aromatic dry infrared charcoal salt ice rooms, experiential showers - good experience but miss sauna-ing while watching the sea.

• Like 2

Good morning Day 7, 22 Nov. - another time change overnight. We’re now synced with Halifax, which, if I recall, is the Atlantic Tine Zone.

0630 and temps are already at 77F / 25C with 46 knot winds and a slightly choppy sea, I believe the ship crew will label it “moderate“. V!va is sailing fairly smoothly, some minor swaying and occasional stutters up near the top decks. I don’t believe we’ll be eating breakfast on our balcony this morning with the current winds.

IMG_4770.thumb.jpeg.343ec51ade861a5058591d2048a1fbdc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.d85300a89d6a5f06ec668538c14a348a.jpg

• Like 4

@sjacobs11 i took some photos of the exteriors of the starboard SK cabins to show potential slide encroachments. For reference, the photos were taken from deck 8. Hope these help!

IMG_4731.thumb.jpeg.8ad108c5718289b0b4ae32aaa0147c47.jpeg

deck 15 looks unobstructed from this view

IMG_4730.thumb.jpeg.1efe82e6797c74ce034f3a4c338a5349.jpeg

IMG_4733.thumb.jpeg.fcf9e966dd46c5a2b65a7f4255a9a0bb.jpeg

perhaps those 3 thin support rods may have a slight impact (“thin” being relative here).

Edited by ColdCruise
Typo
  • Like 1

We finally attended a Latitudes Wines Around the World Event. As regular wine drinkers, the wines themselves wer not terribly interesting. However I believe they are all available by the glass with the Basic umm Ultimate, excuse me, the Premium Beverage Package. The wine stewards hosting each station were really engaged with describing the wines and discussing wine in general. Overall a nice event. Photos with out attendees

IMG_4723.jpeg

️ 🇫🇷 France - Louis Jadot Pinot Noir (Burgogne) & Gerard Bertram 6eme Rose

🇦🇷 Argentina - Terrazas de los Andes Malbec Reserva

🇨🇱 Chile - Errazuriz Estate Merlot Reserva

IMG_4722.thumb.jpeg.4968fdae0e18b01292df8c711938273f.jpeg

🇺🇸 USA - Chateau Ste Michelle Chardonnay & East-West Red Blend (NCL proprietary)

🇮🇹 Italy - Santa Margheritta Pinot Grigio & Natale Verga Governo all’uso Toscano

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2

No specialty reservation last night, opted for dinner in Hudsons

But went to the Metropolitan to pick up drinks beforehand. Turned out a good move as there was a 20 minute wait for a table (around 1830) so we propped up a wall and listened to the fun from inside Hasuki (which is now a $59 cover).

Met had a Grüner Veltliner, which I generally enjoy. Didn't catch this was an orange wine till it was poured. Disappointing 😣

IMG_4761.thumb.jpeg.3a179bd9aa8da484a3e13cd304652bcc.jpeg

Dinner OTOH did not disappoint

Prosciutto & melon

IMG_4763.thumb.jpeg.96018051959f6cd9455b00660a45e690.jpeg

Turkey 🦃 escalope (ditched the mash for asparagus)

IMG_4764.thumb.jpeg.83640a93cf4eaaa847c502c967ccd906.jpeg

Bratwurst

IMG_4765.thumb.jpeg.f9bd174b7d7f39b67e864eebc9790922.jpeg

apple cobbler 

IMG_4767.thumb.jpeg.e3e653d957effe4ff199e981f102e11e.jpeg

Pear Helene (NCL interpretation- creme brulée filling wrapped with very thin layer of sponge decorated with chocolate & cocoa then topped with pear compote) - surprisingly delish!

IMG_4766.thumb.jpeg.0f88caf8b837c77e7a9dc8833ea242b4.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

@sjacobs11 i took some photos of the exteriors of the starboard SK cabins to show potential slide encroachments. For reference, the photos were taken from deck 8. Hope these help!

perhaps those 3 thin support rods may have a slight impact (“thin” being relative here).

That’s awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to snap these!

The Captain announced an itinerary deviation a few minutes ago.

We’ll arrive in St Thomas about 2300 the 23rd (tomorrow) to disembark a crew member who is experiencing a medical emergency.

there will be “no shore leave” after arrival tomorrow but we’ll go through US immigration procedures the next day.

There was a code to a cabin 60xxx a few days ago with a stretcher, that cabin number series designates crew cabins in front of the theater. Hopefully the crew member is not in critical condition!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

We had a relaxed day today, its a sea day after all!

Morning - room service breakfast, lazing on the super balcony enjoying the temps in the 70s

Afternoon - black glass wine tasting with macarons (cassis & mango); Latitudes Wine Around the World, couple hours in the spa.

Evening - dinner at Hudsons (MDR) with a window seat in the middle providing a good view of V!va’s wake; chat with a couple YouTubers we often watch; Press Your Luck game show -pre-show energizer:

image.thumb.jpg.adb6fc29b9d48503f4df790f94cca814.jpg

Was there any charge to participate in Press Your Luck?  I've seen on the dailies where you can sign up, but no mention of cost (if any).  Did you watch it?  I've watched it on TV and just curious as to how they work it.  Enjoying the review--thanks for doing it.

4 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

The slide goes through the balconies of passenger cabins?  Who came up with that design??🤔

Deck & Engine Q&A 

IMG_4789.thumb.jpeg.a410a0962c5f641814c428d956c0d11d.jpeg

actually currently 1498 crew and 5400+ total souls

3 officers always on duty in the bridge

2 giant stabilizers 

engine  rooms

image.thumb.jpg.ff4f33b5316d8f5d0ee6cf6b46c2efbc.jpg

Evaporators & condensors

IMG_4790.thumb.jpeg.2c0994042755a93c6e2f1c58c820fca6.jpeg

water is better quality than bottles, tested several times each day

recycling program 

IMG_4791.thumb.jpeg.f7438aaf617ae676e4f7663cfb74f6c8.jpeg

in Barcelona they had an arrangement to off load used coffee grounds, they were paid by a Spanish company and the money went into a crew fund

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1

IMG_4792.thumb.jpeg.7cfdd41fed14d8a7d164b8aaf7097c45.jpeg

Left to right

chief engineer from 🇬🇷 

captain from  🇮🇹 
general manager from 🇫🇷 

see photo of officer’s names upstream. I know I’d misspell at least one name 🤣

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1

Just now, ColdCruise said:

IMG_4792.thumb.jpeg.7cfdd41fed14d8a7d164b8aaf7097c45.jpeg

Left to right

chief engineer from 🇬🇷 

captain from  🇮🇹 
general manager from 🇫🇷 

see photo of officer’s names upstream. I know I’d misspell at least one name 🤣

You're the Wisconsin guy?

28 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

Was there any charge to participate in Press Your Luck?  I've seen on the dailies where you can sign up, but no mention of cost (if any).  Did you watch it?  I've watched it on TV and just curious as to how they work it.  Enjoying the review--thanks for doing it.

There were several announcements in the Freestyle calling for people to apply as a participant. No charge AFAIK or heard of.

I don’t recall ever seeing this show on TV, husband has.

We saw it last night, theater was crowded with lots of audience participation and energy. Lots of fun!

3 participants selected for each show from those who applied.

3 rounds with elimination if they got 2 whammys

final round could win up to 5K

some options between rounds for selected audience to play for prizes 

Warning - we needed reservations but those on B2B said they were previously told they didn't need reservations and we caught short by the change. Get a reservation!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

No problem walking into press your luck.

They still scan your cards for the audience prizes..

We(UK) don't have this show on TV but have  have plenty of other similar over the years.

Trash TV game shows come to NCL.

Everyone has their own preference for entertainment. Game shows appeal because the viewer/audience can test their wits against the contestants or whatever. Similar to the very popular and at capacity Murder Mystery Viva put on in Onda today (disappointed we didn’t get there in time from the Deck & Engine Q&A to cop a seat! - 2nd offering BTW) or the very well attended and competitive Progressive Trivia the assistant cruise director has been hosting this sailing.

I enjoyed the Price is Right on Prima, even though none of contestants at our showing had a clue about the game, so it was not well played (cultural and language disconnects ) 

I think NCL may have profited from that blooper and implemented the application process for Press Your Luck, since all the contestants were clued in yesterday and it was a good showing. Great audience participation, so I think NCL is to something

i will say they put an effort into the stage setting for both shows.

And, for my money & time, I’d rather see well presented game shows than the amateur hour talent shows on other cruise lines (eg Voice of the Sea) - for that, I’ll head to karaoke !  [EXCEPTION TO CREW TALENT SHOWS - they are fun & funny]

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2

So dinner tonight…. Cagney’s with our Latitudes meal coupon with a bottle of wine. We usually reserve that for Cagney’s as they have a bigger wine list. 

i think this is the last steak dinner we’ll be having at Cagney’s. The meat didn't live ip to the hype nor was it as good as the filet’s at Onda and Le Bistro earlier this sailing. To be fair, I didn’t have another filet, but my 2nd preferred cut, ribeye (the marbling adds so much more flavor, the same as for ny favorite cut, porterhouse). So I'm not comparing exact cuts. On the other hand, I've probably had more steak 🥩 both filet and ribeye than average. 

anyways we ordered ribeye and prime rib, both medium-rare as we like a juicy but chewable steak. Both were dry, bone dry. The ribeye was beautiful to look at - seared outside nice a pink through out once cut … but barely a drop of 

moisture oozed onto the plate when cut through the middle (the pink on the plate is from trying to manipulate the cut)

IMG_4798.thumb.jpeg.7650096411c1e37d9a05d07c884d2c0b.jpeg

IMG_4802.thumb.jpeg.2a76f868b8182c31529709f4414caff5.jpeg

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2