Specialty Restaurants/availability beyond advance reservation allowance

blueexpedition29

We had Sea Bass on Vista last week, it was our “Last Supper” 🙏👍. They have substituted Cod when they have run out or the shipments did not arrive on schedule or did not pass the QC test.  We have had that happen various places in the world, especially with fresh fruits, vegetables and other staples. F&B and Executive Chef left the unsatisfactory product on the dock and we left. Ran out of sea bass on Marina last January 🤣  I am not a Miso Glazed Cod person, Chilean sea bass only.

They really do everything they can to maintain their standards and that includes special ingredients for the Staff kitchen and dining. 
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

2 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

We had Sea Bass on Vista last week, it was our “Last Supper” 🙏👍. They have substituted Cod when they have run out or the shipments did not arrive on schedule or did not pass the QC test.  We have had that happen various places in the world, especially with fresh fruits, vegetables and other staples. F&B and Executive Chef left the unsatisfactory product on the dock and we left. Ran out of sea bass on Marina last January 🤣  I am not a Miso Glazed Cod person, Chilean sea bass only.

They really do everything they can to maintain their standards and that includes special ingredients for the Staff kitchen and dining. 
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Does anyone know the seating capacity of the specialty restaurants on Vista

Thanks 

17 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

So we can assume you’ve dined in the staff quarters and personally know of the food quality and “ special ingredients “ used therein? I will say that I’ve heard staff members say they like their food better than guests food because our food is too bland. Most of us don’t consider most herbs and spices as “ special ingredients “, but I guess they could be. 

The prior discussion was on fish, sea bass in particular. It comes to the ship frozen and prior inspected. It is not like fresh veggies that could possibly spoil. Whether a ship has most any product is purely a function of (1) supply chain availability and; (2) a price, within the budget, they’re willing to pay for said product. Like any organization or individual, when prices and availability change, so do buying decisions. 

17 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

It's strange that they should run out of Chilean Sea bass (properly called Patagonian Toothfish) on a South America cruise.

@pinotlover

No, we have not dined with the staff but two weeks ago we were privileged to take a Galley tour on Vista with the Executive Chef and F&B Director and saw menus and were shown the various ingredients that are stocked, some of which are for staff meals only. Just sharing some insights with my O family. 

Yes, the MIA Chilean Sea Bass was probably due to a supply issue. It was resolved within 10 days but by then we were off the ship and the new guests benefitted. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

It's strange that they should run out of Chilean Sea bass (properly called Patagonian Toothfish) on a South America cruise.

Our SA cruise ran out also. One of our great fellow passengers was/is in the fish business, supplying all types of fish from around the world, to places around the world. All the Patagonian Tootfish we eat is farm raised and typically contracted for months in advance. A multitude of issues can occur in the production pods that can significantly affect supply at any given time. When that occurs supply is affected along with the market price of other available supplies.

It was interesting sailing through the Chilean Fjords and seeing the miles and miles of salmon farms. Chile is the largest source of salmon in the world. If I remember correctly Chilean sea bass doesn’t actually come from Chile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1