Authentic restaurant

Rdclfamily

In the port it's self, Cantina Latina offers typical Americanized Mexican.  There is a taco kiosk that does serve good street tacos. At one time  El Faro, a seafood restaurant was at the port, not sure if its still there.

Most of the beach clubs along the malecon in Mahahual serve what isn't "authentic" Yucatan or Quintana Roo food but reasonably familiar dishes to American tastes; the seafood dishes are pretty decent.

La Chilangaloense, along the malecon, probably has the most diversified menu, with aquachile fish, molcajeteado, some interesting seafood tacos and a couple of variations of ceviche.  Also cajeta is available. The food att eh AI beach clubs tends to be a bit better than the pay-go beach clubs.

I agree with @crewsweeper - i haven’t found anywhere with “authentic” food in Mahahual. Typical Tex-mex with some good seafood. Some places with better food than others. 

Agree La Chilanganoense has a more diverse Mexican menu on the Malecon. Also Catrina (same partnership?) restaurant near the fake Mayan replica at the end of  the port road. Both also offer local cooking class if you enquire although I haven’t done it.

If you are looking for a beach day, Maya Chan includes a reasonable home-cooked  buffet lunch cooked onsite, transport included, more relaxed atmosphere than the malecon but careful if sargassum season. 

Also one of the ruins trips with Native Choice includes a lunch with local family which you could check out but I haven’t done it.

We enjoy menu at Malecon21 which is better quality fusion - basic Mexican with European influence since owners are Italian.