Hawaii ship's internet coverage

allegrocontadino

Hello all. Quick question. i am considering booking a 16-nights hawaii trip either with Grand or Ruby. What concerns me is the reliability of wi-fi connection while at sea as Iwill have to check my emails regularly, and do some tasks while sailing. No streaming needed, anyway. Did anyone sail recently on this itinerary and could share with me a genuine review of the wifi coverage? Thanks

• Like 1

We did the Hawaii run on the Grand no too long ago. All I did was check email, no streaming. But no problems. On Oahu at the terminal, there is free wifi, should the system fail you. Not that you want to spend your port time doing email, but it's good to know.

Wifi has less bandwidth once you get about 200-300 miles from land.  Reason is fewer users.  Thus at busy times such as 9am or before cocktail hour the speeds will likely be slower.

The system does not fail.  Just remember streaming might be a problem.  Also know location on the ship very important.   The closer to the Hotspot the faster the speed, just like at home.

We took this cruise this fall, from Seattle to Hawaii and back.  I tested the speed numerous times on numerous days on my MacBook Pro, always from our cabin.  I found the download speed averaged 1.5 mps (never less than 1.1; once was 2.3) and upload was almost always .8 mps.  Of course, these speeds are nothing like one can get at home/on land, but they were perfectly fine for everything I used the internet for, including emails, internet searches, the occasional short YouTube video, etc.  The wifi was never "not on" and seemed very reliable, even in the middle of the Pacific.  Thank you, Starlink!

Edited by QuilterGirl