Iona Dining - which MDR.

sandancer

First time on Iona so it would be great if I could get an opinion on which MDR is the best choice, bearing in mind we have a wheelchair. I know the menu will be the same in all of them. We always request a table for 2. We will eat in most of the speciality restaurants if possible, booking in advance but will still eat in an MDR some nights. 

If you haven't already done so, have a read of my recent review where I mention this subject.

In short, we don't mind Pearl and Coral for breakfast as they're not that busy, but we don't like them for dinner; too noisy for us. Of the two smaller MDRs, Aqua is a little two light and it has more two-seaters in rows of four of more; you know, the ones where you are so close to your neighbours you can hear them masticating. 

Opal hits all the boxes for us.  Most of the rows of two-seaters are in locations where it is awkward for a wheelchair user to get to. Consequently, you are more likely to get a proper two-seater with no neighbours, or a four-seater for your own use. I have posted photos.

Thanks Tiger. Great advice. I’ll read your review. It’s NYE so going to be busy. We have already been asked which seating time we want for the NYE dinner and we chose 5.30 although we wouldn’t normally eat so early. The alternative was 8.30 and I had visions of us still at the table at midnight. 

Yes, I think you've done right for that particular evening.

It may be different for you but on our recent trip we could only book the MDRs once onboard; I did that once we had boarded the first day. Of course, only the slots up to 18:00 were available, but that was fine for us.

If you have difficulty getting slots, or booking with the My Holiday app/non-app, don't despair. We met a very nice Head Waiter called Gwendal; he said that if anyone has a problem getting a table they should see him.

Well, I’ve binge read your review and can’t quite express how impressed I am. I’m especially pleased by your use of the word “hoy”. Hubbie has a folding wheelchair so on our recent Azura cruise we were able to use the regular shuttle buses and the chair was folded and put in the luggage compartment. Likewise in the dining room he transferred to a regular chair and I folded the chair and asked for it to be stowed in any convenient free area. So much easier than your lady wife except of course I’m pushing. This extra exercise justifies 2 puddings a night I think. One of the drawbacks of a folding chair is that they are very reluctant to let us book an accessible cabin. So thanks again for a very enjoyable read. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

First time on Iona so it would be great if I could get an opinion on which MDR is the best choice, bearing in mind we have a wheelchair. I know the menu will be the same in all of them. We always request a table for 2. We will eat in most of the speciality restaurants if possible, booking in advance but will still eat in an MDR some nights. 

I recommend Pearl, if you are happy with a larger restaurant.

On the first evening speak to Bea or Carina on the desk and tell them what your requirements are, they are very helpful. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words.🙂

If your hubby uses a wheelchair right up to the point he transfers, and cannot walk independently very far, it is a bit unfair that they won't allow you to book an accessible, or even a partially accessible cabin.

In the MDRs, when allocating a table, the host will consider the best route for a wheelchair; with Opal being a smaller space, the lovely Thandy did just that for us.

Our lass has a power chair, so I don't have the same excuse as you for having two desserts; I'm just greedy get!🫢

In mitigation, our son-in-law always says that you have two bellies, a savoury one and a sweet one.😉

They asked if he could move around the cabin without using the chair and he can as it’s not exactly a marathon from the bed to the bathroom. However any further than that is a problem. He can get up the few steps into a coach but couldn’t make it to the back to find a seat. We found the driver & guide to be really good about giving him a seat near the front. Whilst this is great I would give a lot to go back to the days when he ran marathons and wheelchairs were not in our orbit at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

They asked if he could move around the cabin without using the chair and he can as it’s not exactly a marathon from the bed to the bathroom. However any further than that is a problem. He can get up the few steps into a coach but couldn’t make it to the back to find a seat. We found the driver & guide to be really good about giving him a seat near the front. Whilst this is great I would give a lot to go back to the days when he ran marathons and wheelchairs were not in our orbit at all. 

Hi southerner, I would also say that either of the two stern dining rooms are best as we have found the two smaller ones to be quite tight for my scooter which is narrower than a wheelchair. I love Iona because of the accessability. It has put me off some of the smaller ships although we are booked on Arcadia next year.

• Like 1