Viking Mars food and bed poor?

kahuna21

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I like to think of it more as we pick up pretty quickly on people we want to socialize with.  Although I must say, we are doing our first River cruise next fall, and I dread breakfast with the masses!

I am really an introvert and don’t particularly want to socialize, especially before coffee!  On our river cruise last year, I didn’t find it onerous to find an end of the able.  You can either talk or not.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, janetcbl said:

We asked our cabin attendant when he introduced himself, as well as our request to exchange the soft drinks and liquor for bottles of wine. It was accomplished during the time we ate lunch, arranged for some onboard activities, enjoyed a cup of coffee, and wandered around the ship a bit.

Thank you!  I'll be sure to do this as soon as the cabin attendant comes by.

On 11/28/2023 at 4:32 PM, CDNPolar said:

The menu we did not like was the UK menu, and the challenge we had with that was the battered fish, but then we have found in general that Viking do not do deep fried well - in our opinion.  But I would try that menu again with no expectations.

If it was the same as the version we encountered, it's the same (or very similar) to pre made frozen, put in oven for ten minutes as can be bought in any UK supermarket + oven chips likewise, unfortunately not a good brand version. OK for what it is, but it's what we have when we need a quick and easy meal after getting back late,  certainly not the standard expected at the Viking price point. 

I can understand that deep fat fryers are dangerous on a ship, but could at least get a good version of the  oven ready variant

3 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

If it was the same as the version we encountered, it's the same (or very similar) to pre made frozen, put in oven for ten minutes as can be bought in any UK supermarket + oven chips likewise, unfortunately not a good brand version. OK for what it is, but it's what we have when we need a quick and easy meal after getting back late,  certainly not the standard expected at the Viking price point. 

I can understand that deep fat fryers are dangerous on a ship, but could at least get a good version of the  oven ready variant

Viking also do soft shell crab which is battered and deep fried.  And I am certain that they deep fry on the ship and that it is not oven baked.... but we just found the batter soft and not as crisp as we would have wanted... but again.. just our opinion.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:54 PM, bluestocking7 said:

Thank you!  I'll be sure to do this as soon as the cabin attendant comes by.

Also ask if you want a kettle, no boiling water is available elsewhere on the ship for tea making. 

Bring your own tea bags, liberate a tea pot from the atrium bar and mugs from the world cafe. The ships RO water makes a decent brew, so no sugar or milk needed 

Just now, CDNPolar said:

Viking also do soft shell crab which is battered and deep fried.  And I am certain that they deep fry on the ship and that it is not oven baked.... but we just found the batter soft and not as crisp as we would have wanted... but again.. just our opinion.

We didn't try the shellfish, having been disappointed by it in the past, I haven't seen the kitchens, so can only go by what the food resembles standard and taste wise. Pre made and finished in the oven is an OK tactic, as I said, we have things in the freezer to use as needed, many chain pubs in the UK sell such food. 

The problem is Viking price point and advertising suggesting a premium not budget product. 

If I can make the same things to similar quality from frozen, chilled or tinned ready meal items then something is lacking

On 12/2/2023 at 4:57 PM, KBs mum said:

Also ask if you want a kettle, no boiling water is available elsewhere on the ship for tea making. 

Bring your own tea bags, liberate a tea pot from the atrium bar and mugs from the world cafe. The ships RO water makes a decent brew, so no sugar or milk needed 

Wanted to share a memorable story from a recent cruise on Viking Orion.  Our steward stopped by to do a turn down just as I was heading up to the World Cafe to get a cup of tea.  He asked me to wait and returned minutes later with a tea service complete with a carafe of hot water, cups, tea bags, cream, sugar and cookies.  I was totally impressed.  

It is my habit to get a cup of tea at the WC each evening but this was a nice treat.  On subsequent nights, our steward had a pot of boiling water waiting for me in the cabin.  Great service.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Wanted to share a memorable story from a recent cruise on Viking Orion.  Our steward stopped by to do a turn down just as I was heading up to the World Cafe to get a cup of tea.  He asked me to wait and returned minutes later with a tea service complete with a carafe of hot water, cups, tea bags, cream, sugar and cookies.  I was totally impressed.  

It is my habit to get a cup of tea at the WC each evening but this was a nice treat.  On subsequent nights, our steward had a pot of boiling water waiting for me in the cabin.  Great service.

He was doing well to get the water to the room still boiling, must have a good turn of speed🙂🥇

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

He was doing well to get the water to the room still boiling, must have a good turn of speed🙂🥇

Ah, the UK and the US. Two countries separated by a common language AND intractable views on the required temperature of the water for tea making!!! 😁 (For what it's worth as a British born naturalized US citizen, I'm with KBs Mum on this - kettle boiling to tea in 10 seconds flat is the way to go 😀)