Koningsdam California Coast Nov 18th Review

cbr663

3 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Just curious as to why you didn't cancel your second PG lunch with the host/hostess when you left the  PG ?  

No one was available at the front to do so.  The Hotel Manager was at Guest Relations though and handled the second PG cancellation.  Interestingly, they confirmed that we had dined on that day and would like to cancel the upcoming lunch reservation and didn't ask why we wished to cancel.  Just processed and said, "all done".

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I'm sorry that you didn't feel confident enough to share your review.  I understand your hesitation though.

I agree with you that the entertainment overall is lacking.  I didn't want to be one of the HAL passengers who are lamenting HAL from the past, yet I do remember not that long ago when the list of Daily Activities was so long and so varied that you would have decide which activities were more important as activities times would conflict.  That doesn't happen anymore.

Lots of people seemed to enjoyed the music venues.  I have too in the past, it's just on this ship the performers weren't that great for me.  For many of the songs they were clearly out of tune.  On our Alaska sailing the Rolling Stones Rock Room was packed with people out in the hallways - this sailing it was never full when we stopped by.

Your comment about adult colouring made me smile as yes, it was offered.  :-).  I must admit that I was struck by the number of couples and people playing cards to pass the time.  And I understand that for some people, being on a ship and playing cards works for them, just like some people enjoy lounging around the pool all day long.  That is not for us.  We are active early retirees and while I am not looking for the go carts and climbing walls I would like a little more on the ship.  There are only so many times you can walk around the Promenade deck each day.

We were on this cruise as well.  It was a family trip— we spent time playing cards on board part of the time because we love to play games and there wasn’t anything else to do as a family!  Our family members traveling with us are late 20 year olds.  They mentioned numerous times throughout the cruise that there was nothing for them to do! Most of the games (Mario Kart, Cornhole, etc) were listed for teens or kids.  No karaoke, no DJ and dancing, etc.  They had brought their Nintendo Switch with them (even though I had told them they’d be too busy!  Boy, was I wrong!) and would set up in the Crow’s Nest late at night and play games!  

They had just been on a Princess Alaskan cruise this past summer.  Both of our kids commented on how much fun it had been and that there was so much to do!  This was their first HAL cruise— we’ve booked for next Thanksgiving on the Koningsdam but we are exploring other options!  

I do agree about the quality of music—we would be in Billboard enjoying drinks and talking.  The woman who was part of the piano duo was not very good—out of tune and flat—as soon as she started we had to leave!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

We were on this cruise as well.  It was a family trip— we spent time playing cards on board part of the time because we love to play games and there wasn’t anything else to do as a family!  Our family members traveling with us are late 20 year olds.  They mentioned numerous times throughout the cruise that there was nothing for them to do! Most of the games (Mario Kart, Cornhole, etc) were listed for teens or kids.  No karaoke, no DJ and dancing, etc.  They had brought their Nintendo Switch with them (even though I had told them they’d be too busy!  Boy, was I wrong!) and would set up in the Crow’s Nest late at night and play games!  

They had just been on a Princess Alaskan cruise this past summer.  Both of our kids commented on how much fun it had been and that there was so much to do!  This was their first HAL cruise— we’ve booked for next Thanksgiving on the Koningsdam but we are exploring other options!  

I do agree about the quality of music—we would be in Billboard enjoying drinks and talking.  The woman who was part of the piano duo was not very good—out of tune and flat—as soon as she started we had to leave!

Your kids may have enjoyed the Disney Magic more.  We were on our balcony for sail away and the Disney Magic was just a rocking.  Our 85 year old sailing neighbour was also out on her balcony bopping to the Magic music and saying perhaps she is on the wrong ship.  lol.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Your kids may have enjoyed the Disney Magic more.  We were on our balcony for sail away and the Disney Magic was just a rocking.  Our 85 year old sailing neighbour was also out on her balcony bopping to the Magic music and saying perhaps she is on the wrong ship.  lol.

We’ve done a number of Disney cruises when the kids were younger.  They didn’t enjoy them as much once they were of drinking age!  🤣. They like being able to find bars anywhere on a ship rather than in just one location!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, cbr663 said:

Ports

The cruise started in San Diego and we really enjoyed our time there.  We walked to Little Italy, the Gas Lamp, Seaview Village, up the waterfront to the cruise terminal and of course, all the streets around our hotel.  The daily highs were about 73 - 74 and those are perfect temps for this Canadian.  We spent so much time walking San Diego that we were exhausted every night.  It was a good thing.

Avalon, Santa Catalina Island was a wonderful surprise.  It was a tender port and when the waves calmed a little we went ashore.  It was very clean and a very beautiful port and so easy to walk around with lots of shops and eateries.  Many people rented the golf carts to tour the island.  It was great to visit a port that didn't have a Diamonds International in sight :-).

We had a wonderful day in San Francisco.  Even though we had an overnight in this port, we didn't arrive until 6:00 pm and I am never that confident exploring a new city after dark.  The, "You don't know what you don't know" always comes to mind so we decided to wait until the next day to get out and explore.  We took advantage of the Hop On Hop Off tour.  I know, it is such a touristy thing to do.  I've enjoyed them in other cities and enjoyed this one also.  We got off at the Ferry Terminal to explore, got to learn of the history of the city and its beautiful architecture, got to go across the bridge and hopped off at Ghirardelli Square for some must needed shopping.  We then decided to walk back to the cruise terminal along Fisherman's Wharf.  We stopped in Boudin's (thank-you @LAFFNVEGAS) and had a wonderful afternoon.  Lots of walking in a beautiful city.

We arrived in Ensenada, Mexico with RDF - Rain, Drizzle and Fog.  It did put a bit of a damper on the day.  We didn't really plan much for this port as HAL didn't offer much in shore excursions so when the weather cleared we went ashore and walked around.  It was a quick walk.  I was a little surprised that HAL didn't offer a port map like it use to.  Guess those were another cut.

Ensenada has the best shopping. Take the chartered bus to La Bufadora (The Blowhole). There are many unique vendors there as well as the 8th Wonder of the World 😜

• Like 1

Here's a follow up on CO on the NS. 

Had dinner on the Malaga port day. 

Once seated, the meal took just an hour. That's correct for a single diner with just 3 courses. This time, they managed their pace better 

They left tables empty and diners waiting with pagers. Once seated, the meal service proceeded more smoothly.