Discounts

Why is there such a misconception on the internet of Royal Caribbean offering such grand discounts on packages for Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday?

This is my first year really paying attention to the claim of holiday discounts shared over some forums. The pricing is the same as what's offered throughout the year. From what I see, the best price offered on packages is at time of booking. This can be very misleading for cruisers holding out for some mega deal.

As with any marketing from any company one needs to pay attention to the details. I suppose if the purchaser believes that they got a good deal that's all that matters, to them. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by sparks1093

• 1 month later...

Hi

If you have been paying attention for some time, you will notice that it is pretty much the same for all cruise lines. Some small discounts are the norm. Maybe, an OBC, or perhaps a reduced deposit.

The pricing for cabins are dynamic. Cabin prices don't all go up or down across the line for any reason. It is more that specific cabin classes on specific sailings will see a change in pricing depending on demand. You might find some special pricing at any given time. The company will change pricing as they see the occupancy demand. They have it worked out. They know how many cabins of any specific class they would expect to have sold at any period prior to sailing date. If there is an imbalance, they will do what they feel is necessary. Perhaps offer certain cabins at a discount or try to encourage some to upgrade their cabin selection. When you do find some very special price, it might come with a very limited choice of cabins.

The bottom line, is that if you see something you feel is good value for you, book it. Especially if it is a booking rate that allows you to take advantage of any price drops. Pricing can change over the course of a day. What you see today might not be there tomorrow. Pricing that I am offered is not necessarily what you are being offered 

hope you find a good deal

On 11/27/2023 at 7:41 AM, getsumcents said:

Why is there such a misconception on the internet of Royal Caribbean offering such grand discounts on packages for Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday?

What I've seen over the years: 

- Black Friday sales are on "cruise extras" -- beverage packages, dinner packages, excursions -- not on cruise tickets themselves.  

- Black Friday sales have been lackluster over the past few years (maybe pandemic related?), but this year they had some good options.  I was quite pleased with the things we reserved.  

- As with most things, it's all "buyer beware".  Royal isn't alone in playing games with BOGOF, raising prices so they can offer a "discount", etc.  

- If you're a thrifty traveler, you should keep an eye on your cruise prices.  Every week or so -- not just on Black Friday -- do a "dummy booking" to see what the cruise is selling for.  If your room category has gone down, call in and ask for a price match.  I recently saw a price drop of about $200; took about 15 minutes on the phone to lower my price.