$8 vs $50.. City bus vs. City Taxi (they look almost the same)

Brianinidaho

The Big Booper - I just posted a reply to you and it went "poof" - how frustrating!:mad:

Thank you SO much for all the info and suggestions! Great taxi fare link - didn't realize it was ONLY $15 to Marigot - thought it would be $30plus each way. We will definitely catch a cab from the pier straight to Marigot and forget about the bus-lol.

Loved your comment about going back to the ship to eat:D No, we NEVER do that. We love to try new restaurants. Last time, we ate at Talulah Mango's and it was pretty good. We plan on going to Marigot in the morning to have a look around and then get back to Phillipsburg so I can go jewellery shopping and then eat on Front Street across from Great Bay Beach (what a view!). We were thinking of going to Divi Little Bay Resort, but I don't think we will have enough time. So, after our lunch, we will probably just plop ourselves on Great Bay Beach (I believe that is the name) and then make our way back to the ship in time for boarding.

Do tell if you have any recommendations for a restaurant with a view there. We don't do seafood (I'm allergic and hubby doesn't care for it too much), but we are big meateaters.

Thank you again for all your help - very much appreciated:)

Canuck

I agree with your choice. Cabs are fast and cheap and save oodles of time.

As far as Great Bay Beach it is a great place to sit and watch the harbor traffic. However, I wouldn't want to go in the water right there as all that nce looking harbor traffic leaks oil, diesel, etc.

We never eat in P-Burg so can't recommend a place there. When we have stayed on the island in the past for a weekly visit (twice) we usually ate dinner in Gran Case or Marigot or at the beach at lunch (Pedros, Baywatch, etc.). Perhaps others can jump in on this issue.

If you jump to KAL's website thru the airplane link, I think he discusses places. They stay on SXM 2-3 weeks a year so I would trust his judgement. Airplane link -- http://www.bywindkal.com/SXMJets.html

The Big Booper - Thanks again. Yes - it looks like they have interesting restaurants in Marigot, but most are only open for dinner. Because of traffic concerns - thought we should make our way back to Phillipsburg for lunchtime. I will check out the site that you mentioned.

Thanks!!!

Canuck

During high season (until May 1st), here are the bridge schedules:

Simpson Bay Bridge:

Daily - outbound:

9:00AM, 11:00AM and 4:30PM

Daily - inbound:

9:30AM, 11:30AM and 5:30PM

Sandy Ground Bridge:

Mon thru Fri:

8:15AM, 2:30PM and 5:30PM

Sat & Sun:

8:15AM and 5:30PM

There are lots of places for lunch in Marigot especially in the Marigot Port La Royale where you can eat within a few steps of the water. For me, I would prefer to stay out and only return to Philipsburg late in the day for some last minute shopping. However, if I were to have lunch in Philipsburg it would be at L'escargot on Front Street.

Kal - Thanks for the help. Is the Port La Royale a strip of restaurants or a mall - is it not the name of a restaurant is it? Where would I go for restaurant reviews for Marigot? I will look for a website for L'escargots.

Thanks!

Canuck

Port La Royale is an inner harbor a few blocks west of the Marigot Taxi drop-off area. Go here for a map of Marigot. There are numerous waterside restaurants and shops bordering the marina. Lots of choices and price ranges. One of our favorites is La Belle Epoque.

For L'escargot, go here for their website. The ambiance is incredible!! A bowl of French onion soup, a caesar salad and a bottle of French wine works for me.

Kal - Thanks for the help. Is the Port La Royale a strip of restaurants or a mall - is it not the name of a restaurant is it? Where would I go for restaurant reviews for Marigot? I will look for a website for L'escargots.

Thanks!

Canuck

Port La Royale is an inner harbor a few blocks west of the Marigot Taxi drop-off area. Go here for a map of Marigot. There are numerous waterside restaurants and shops bordering the marina. Lots of choices and price ranges. One of our favorites is La Belle Epoque.

For L'escargot, go here for their website. The ambiance is incredible!! A bowl of French onion soup, a caesar salad and a bottle of French wine works for me.

Marigot is France which means they all smoke like crazy; we always sit outside at Marigot. This is a u-shaped raised boardwalk where the small boats tie up on the inside and the restaurants are on the outside of the ring. One of the best places in the world to eat what with ambience and good food. But, they all smoke so sit outside with a table buffer between you and the other diners if possible. Great to sit out here in the evening but this is not possible if you are off a ship unless the ship leaves real late which most of them don't do.

We haven't been here since I went digital at the end of 2002 so I would have to scan my older prints in and then post to my webshots albums.

The Big Booper and Kal - You guys are GREAT - so helpful - posting links and photos - unbelievable - thank you SO much!!

We smoke (yes, unfortunately) so we will not need a buffer:D I know the French smoke like crazy - but is it only outside on the Dutch side?

I wish I was a Port La Royale right now as it is snowing here again in Vancouver - we have had such terrible weather lately.

Thank you guys again - you guys are the BEST:)

Canuck

• 2 weeks later...
A friend asked me to repost this from a few months ago. I hope it has some use for some fellow traveler. Inside a very nicely kept pier and shopping area is the line of taxis. To go from the pier to the Rhino Riders I was quoted $25 each way. A few “info booths” will ask you to take the water taxi into town then you can find a taxi. It is $5 round trip, and when we walked by there was quite a line. The water taxi takes you just a short distance. We walked about 5 blocks in way less time than paying and waiting for the water taxi. Kind of a scam I felt. Outside the gates of the dock area, we were offered rides to the rhino riders for 16 for four of us. Or, $2 a piece into town (this seemed tariffed, because several taxis and buses all said it was $2 to the pier). We walked downtown and found out the island has a great transportation system at cheap prices. White mini vans, which look like many of the expensive taxis, were labeled “bus”. They are $1.50 per person from one end of the island to the other, or $1 per person mid-way. So here is the secret: Look on the license plate or from window for the word “Bus” and a number, and flag the driver. See if he is going your way. We paid $8 round trip to Rhino Riders vs. $50 in a cab (25 each way) for 4 of us. And the return was simple, had a bus within 30 seconds of leaving Rhino riders. The traffic is all the same, so no advantage to a cab over the bus except we did stop twice to pick up people which added less than 2 minutes total to the ride. They do drop you off downtown instead of at the ship (unless you pay $2 more per person)… which was fine because we took our savings and bought 8 shirts for $20 and looked at 3 big beach towels for $10.

BrianinIdaho-

I have followed some of your posts, and just got back, and wanted to thank you for your tips here. Fred

This thread is wonderful! And has caused my wife and I to question our plans for our upcoming trip to St. Martin.

We currently are scheduled to tour with Bernard. We are not big beach people and are not interested in doing a beach (except watching a few planes at Maho) on the island. We are more interested in the culture, scenery, shops and views of the island.

Is a tour like Bernard best for us or would a bus be just as good? Any advice is greatly appreciated! We're so confused on what to do, and Joyce Prince is not available on our day in port.

Thanks!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is wonderful! And has caused my wife and I to question our plans for our upcoming trip to St. Martin.

We currently are scheduled to tour with Bernard. We are not big beach people and are not interested in doing a beach (except watching a few planes at Maho) on the island. We are more interested in the culture, scenery, shops and views of the island.

Is a tour like Bernard best for us or would a bus be just as good? Any advice is greatly appreciated! We're so confused on what to do, and Joyce Prince is not available on our day in port.

Thanks!

Chris

Any time on the island is fun. Getting in a cheap bus and cruising around, seeing the sites, smells, and views, and local culture is exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I stumbled across this thread today as I was trying to decide what to do in St. Martin. My boyfriend and I have never been and based on some of the stuff we read decided we wanted to hit Maho beach, Marigot for some wandering, shopping, browsing, L'Escargot for lunch (He loves French Onion soup!!!), maybe check the jewelry stores in Phillipsburg, and lounge on a quiet beach for the rest of the afternoon. Our ship is in port from 8 - 6.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this all in one day without feeling frenzied? :cool:

Thanks!

Marisa

Hey everyone!

I stumbled across this thread today as I was trying to decide what to do in St. Martin. My boyfriend and I have never been and based on some of the stuff we read decided we wanted to hit Maho beach, Marigot for some wandering, shopping, browsing, L'Escargot for lunch (He loves French Onion soup!!!), maybe check the jewelry stores in Phillipsburg, and lounge on a quiet beach for the rest of the afternoon. Our ship is in port from 8 - 6.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this all in one day without feeling frenzied? :cool:

Thanks!

Marisa

We tried the same thing in Feb, and didn't get it all done. Be aware that the traffic is horrible on the road from the airport. We tried to go from Maho to Marigot and the bus driver told us he was going to Phillipsburg, he would drop us off half-way and we could catch another into Margot. It took us so long to get to the intersection that we gave up on Marigot and just headed back to Phillipsburg. From what I was told, afternoons are even worse due to the drawbridge opening.

Also, it seeems as most of the "heavys" land at Princess Juliana after 1:00pm. Before that is will be private planes and island jumpers up to 727/737 size. Still quite good, but not as impressive as a 747.

The beach a Maho is very nice and quiet in the late morning, you might just want to stay there. The beach in Phillipsburg is beautiful, but very crowded. Toward the East end there is an island band that is a lot of fun, but the restaurants are not of the same caliber as Marigot.

I don't mean for this to sound negative, we had a wonderful time, but tried to do things on "US" time when we should have planned on "Island" time. The busses were great. You will need to walk two blocks inland from Front Street to catch them, and don't take the seat directly behind the driver. The busses are not air conditioned and that seat gets the least air circulation.

You can see our Maho pictures (including that day's arrival schedule) at: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557854610yUgLiG

Have fun

Gilbert

• 3 weeks later...
I am sorry I don't know. But perhaps someone else here knows.

If it were me, I would walk into town, ask a local (like a store keeper) where the city buses come, and ask a driver. To us they were very helpful. Perhaps someone has info on routes, etc. I am sure they go to most places.. locals use them to get to work all over the island. They are fun, safe, and cheap. Brian

Brian, i have a question. Where is Joe's Jewlery? I have a coupon for a free pair of earrings, and need to know where it is located. We are traveling on Carnival. Does it dock in a different place than the RCCL and NCL and HA lines? Or are all in the same area?

Archived