European/Mediterranean Cruises

AbbyK

I would like to cruise summer 2007 with my family - me, husband, and two adult kids. We will have to get two rooms. For anyone who has cruised Europe/Mediterranean, could you give me some advice on which cruise line to go on. We were looking at Holland America. Any pros/cons with the ship you went on?

Thanks!!

In 2003, my sister and I did a Med cruise with Celebrity. Round trip out of Barcelona. We really enjoyed it. It was a very port intensive cruise so I think any ship you choose will be good as most days are spent ashore. I haven't sailed some of the newer ships on HAL but have done the Rotterdam twice and a couple of other HAL ships. We have always enjoyed the service on HAL. But Celebrity is excellant too.

If you are looking at a specific ship you might want to post this question on the HAL boards and get input from people who have sailed on the ship you are considering. But Med cruises are great and I'm sure you'll have a good time on any ship you choose.

Hello Abbeyk

Im no expert but we were on island cruises last year around the Med for seven days ,and this year we are going with RCI on Legend of the seas around the Med for fourteen days .They are changing ships and next year its meant to be Navigator of the seas out of Southampton UK.I dont know if this helps but I hope so Airt:)

Hi,

We won't be going on our Mediterranean until May when we do a back to back starting Rome...20 days altogether. So, cannot tell you which line is better as yet. But we chose HAL because of the itinerary and we have

had good holidays with them before. But last August, we went with Oceania and did the Baltic as we really liked their ports. They were good as well, smaller ship (enjoyed that), "country club casual", no formal nights. So I would recommend looking at itinerary and measure it against costs etc. I know Oceania is also on the Mediterranean.

HAL tends to attract an older passenger, and they don't offer as much in the way of activities that attract the younger passengers, so if that's a concern, then I would suggest a line that has a lower age demographic such as Celebrity or RCCI.

I'm taking the Liberty out of Rome in May. Good itinerary, better price. I have an inside gtd for 1099.00 per person!

Carnival to Visit Greece, Turkey for First Time with FreedomCarnival Cruise Lines, which made its first foray into the Mediterranean with Carnival Liberty in 2005, is increasing its European presence. The line has announced that its 110,000-ton, 2,974-passenger Carnival Freedom, set to kick off its inaugural sailing season on March 14, 2007, will sail 12-day cruises that include the line's first-ever visits to the Greek Isles and Turkey.

A series of seven 12-day Mediterranean & Greek Isles cruises include eight ports: Naples, Rhodes, Izmir (Ephesus), Istanbul, Athens (Piraeus), Katakolon and Livorno, as well as an overnight call in Rome (Civitavecchia). A dozen 12-day Grand Mediterranean cruises visit seven ports: Naples, Dubrovnik, Venice (two-day call), Messina, Barcelona, Cannes and Livorno.

Carnival Freedom's Mediterranean itineraries will operate through fall of 2007. The ship, the fifth in Carnival's Conquest class of ships, is being built at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri, Italy.

Archived