Forward cabins on Koningsdam to Mexico

GeorgeL

For anyone who has done this cruise before and stayed on 10th or 11th floor, forward, I am just wondering if those cabins had a lot of rocking motion (in December, to Baja California).

Thank you in advance for any information.

In general, the up and down motion of the ship as it moves forward in the water will be felt most significantly in the forward part of the ship, and most pronounced on the higher decks.

The rolling, or side to side motion, which is caused by the waves coming across the side of the ship as it moves forward will be felt the same anywhere on the ship, but also most pronounced on the higher decks.  This motion, however, is the one somewhat mitigated by the ships' stabilizers.

Other than with a few areas around the world where certain sea conditions consistently prevail, predicting the wave intensity for any given itinerary is next to impossible as sea conditions can change daily and are affected by different weather patterns. 

The area you reference tends to have more rain and windy conditions between December and February, so in general it may be more likely to have heavier sea conditions then.  But again, that is very difficult to predict accurately far in advance.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

21 hours ago, GeorgeL said:

For anyone who has done this cruise before and stayed on 10th or 11th floor, forward, I am just wondering if those cabins had a lot of rocking motion (in December, to Baja California).

Thank you in advance for any information.

Came back to say, we did a B2B Sea of Cortez+Mexican Riviera (i.e. two visits to Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, one to LaPaz and Loreto) over New Years last year. While our cabin was low and midships, we spend a LOT of time in the Crows Nest (far forward, Deck 12), and have no memory of noticeable motion. 

We also did a northern transatlantic on the Zuiderdam (a somewhat smaller ship) with cabin forward on Deck 10, and felt only a slight "rocking to sleep" motion.

• 2 months later...

Cabin 10053 is right under jogging track, I thought it was a kid running up and down the hallway at first  every morning. Also movie screen SPEAKERS are right on the other side of room . Cabin 10046 was nice and quiet. Did not notice any rocking in either room, both cruises were out of San Diego to the Sea of Cortez

Edited by Buck Turgidson

15 hours ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Did not notice any rocking in either room, both cruises were out of San Diego to the Sea of Cortez

Your good fortune, I guess, especially as both of the staterooms you reference are in the forward section of the ship on a high deck, which will feel the up and down motion the most as you move forward through the sea.  Side to side rocking motion resulting from waves going across the ship will be felt the same anywhere on board, although more pronounced the higher up you are, but is what the stabilizers will help mitigate.  The point being, sea conditions can, and do, frequently change and are unpredictable.

6 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Before I posted I asked my wife who would notice the slightest motion and let me know it and  she felt the same as I about the rooms.

Not disagreeing with you at all.  Just saying you were fortunate with the sea conditions.  We've had wonderful sea conditions many times.  Have also had not so wonderful.  Often on the same cruise.

• Thanks 1