Misconceptions

shipgeeks

Posted (edited)
On 12/19/2023 at 3:08 PM, navybankerteacher said:

and if you look closely at the fish counter at your local supermarket you will usually see the words “previously frozen”.  

I read something on the internet just a day or two ago -- and you know they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true! -- about "Sushi grade" fish:

I always thought that meant higher-quality fish, but the article said it actually means "previously frozen".  The article also emphasized that -- as several people here said -- essentially all fish you buy at the grocery store has been frozen, which means "Sushi grade" actually has no meaning.  Advertisers are tricky people!  

On 12/30/2023 at 7:12 AM, shipgeeks said:

Misconception:  "The most desirable cabins are on the highest decks".  (They cost the most, so they must be the best.)

We almost always go with a Guarantee, and we usually end up on Deck 6 -- so that backs up what you're saying:  People are paying for those higher-deck cabins and leaving Deck 6 for us.  FYI:  It's become our favorite deck.  

On 12/30/2023 at 5:01 PM, Mary229 said:

I agree.  I like the model of a base fare then a menu of options. 

Yes, some people complain about the "nickel and diming" onboard, and perhaps those are the people who dislike /are ashamed of saying "NO" when asked to buy something.  Personally, I like paying for just what I actually want.  

On 2/16/2024 at 8:41 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Misconception is “you’ll gain weight on a cruise” not true for me. I eat what I want and have been known to have double deserts even and still can loose weight on a cruise.

Yeah, I move more on vacation, and that makes all the difference.  

On 2/23/2024 at 3:56 AM, lisiamc said:

and absolutely drooling with envy at what a good time those passengers must be having. It took 16 more years to make that dream come true

Yeah, I grew up watching Love Boat on the 13" B&W TV, and I saw cruising as a super high-class, expensive vacation that a person could MAYBE do once or twice in a lifetime -- probably never for a poor farm girl like me.  Teenaged me never would've believed I'd be able to go a couple times each year.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, shipgeeks said:

Here's one I heard after a cruise:

"I never knew if there was anything to do. They never made any announcements.  The cruise was pretty boring."

Me: Read the daily paper and/or app that lists all the activities, meal opening times, going ashore times, etc.  Some of us even pack a highlighter, and mark things we don't want to miss.  

On 12/5/2023 at 5:24 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

On some cruise lines one of the biggest complaints is constant activities announcements!

They must have been asleep or just not paying attention to anything.  To add to your information sources is the stateroom TV, typically with a scrolling agenda of events on one channel and another dedicated to ship activities hosted by the cruise director and staff.

I can imagine some new cruisers not paying attention to the app, the newsletter, or the TV screen and relying on the CD to tell them what's going on each day.  I think I understand better why Carnival makes so many announcements - especially since they have a large percentage of new cruisers on most of their ships.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:33 AM, shipgeeks said:

Misconception:  I need to decorate the door of my cabin, and I need to buy and hide a bunch of little ducks.

Reality:  No, you don't need to do either.  Most people don't.

I've been cruising for a decade.  I'm pretty sure there were doors decorated on that first cruise.  I don't know when the practice started.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a few of the cabins on the Titanic were decorated.

I definitely started cruising before ducks were a thing on cruise ships.  I hope it's a fad that will fade in time.  That's all I'll say about it.