Southampton to New York 19-26 Nov, Short Review

agathasmum

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

agathasmum was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

A quick review of our Southampton to New York QM2 crossing, 19-26 Nov.

I booked this trip last minute in October when I spotted a “too good to miss” deal on a sheltered verandah cabin. Only after booking did I realise that it was a literary crossing, which was a bonus!

The ship was just out of dry dock after a refit, that included new carpets, reupholstered chairs and a beautiful new floor in the Queens Room. She looked stunning.

Our cabin 5189 was very comfortable, and kept clean by our excellent steward who managed to slip in and out unobtrusively whenever we left the cabin.

We ate lunches and dinners primarily in the Britannia Restaurant. We had open seating and would make a reservation for dinner, but most people seemed to just walk in. We prefer eating alone and sometimes were able to get a true table for two, otherwise we had a table for two which was one of three tables for two that were really a table for six with 2” between tables. We thought the food was delicious and perfectly portioned so you could enjoy 3 or 4 courses. We mainly drank the Cunard brand wines which were pretty decent and inexpensive. Service in the restaurant was excellent.

We never ate at the buffet in Kings Court, but did try both pop up specialty restaurants, the indian and the asian, with table service in a separate section of the Kings Court. The food at both meals was really good. The Golden Lion had a much smaller menu than previously so we didn’t eat there. We enjoyed croissants and coffee in Sir Samuels in the morning.

We tend to amuse ourselves with puzzles and reading, but we did attend quite a few of the literary talks in the theatre which were very enjoyable. We didn’t go to any stage productions but listened to live music in various locations, with the party band being our favourites.

The new Starlink internet was very fast. We paid for the higher tier that allowed streaming for 2 devices. I was able to steam Netflix in the cabin mid-Atlantic with no issues.

I can now cross “sailing in the Atlantic during a force 10 gale with 18’ waves” off my bucket list. I can’t think of any better way to do that than on this ocean going liner! QM2 handled the conditions beautifully.

We loved our spur of the moment trip and can’t wait to sail on QM2 again!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3