Perks from your TA

Steve H

We went on our first Azamara cruise last December and loved it so much that we have booked several more. Unfortunately Azamara has consistently has had so many glitches in their new IT system that I have had to call our big box Travel Agency many times to intervene. Although I can get a different agent every time, it doesn’t affect their ability to fix the problems. Every agent has used the approach of all of us being on a conference call and resolving every issue together , while documenting every last detail for future reference. I could not ask for better service than I have received from this travel agency. The shop cards are such a bonus, especially since you can use them for online shopping. 

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK, this seems different than what Fouremco said.

Ok.... so Fouremco said:  Because I have the time, interest and experience, I do all of the research when planning a cruise, so when I'm ready to book, I know exactly which cabin I want on which ship on which cruise before I pick up the phone to call my agency or go on their website to make my booking. And it's purely because of the perks that I book with them instead of directly with the cruise line.

Essentially the same thing and I have done this too.  I think that the key is here, that we are "directing" the TA to what we want because we have done all the research and know exactly what we want.  The TA really has no research or investigation to do... we do it all.

Same thing to book directly with the Cruise Line - which we do more often - ask all the questions we have of the cruise line, then finalize the booking with a deposit, then move the booking over to the TA.

Same thing really....  Only when direct with the cruise line first, you can get any questions answered right then an there.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

OK, this seems different than what Fouremco said.

I think that the main difference in approach is that @CDNPolar more often books with the cruise line and transfers the booking to the TA after the fact, whereas I more often book directly with the TA. But we both  use the other approach at times.

I was out in Navan watching my grandson play, so I missed the Sens game. But it's nice to know that they can knock off the first place team!

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I think that the main difference in approach is that @CDNPolar more often books with the cruise line and transfers the booking to the TA after the fact, whereas I more often book directly with the TA. But we both  use the other approach at times.

I was out in Navan watching my grandson play, so I missed the Sens game. But it's nice to know that they can knock off the first place team!

We use both approaches but always do all our own research.  Typically we email our TA to finalize a booking.  Occassionally we do our own booking (typically happens when we book onboard) and then have it assigned to our TA.  We have once done as you mentioned in order to snag a cabin booked ourselves and then transfer, as we didn't want to risk it becoming unavailable.

We always deal with the same TA at the American agency we use.  I've never not been able to reach him via email.  He always responds even if he is away from office.  Because of this I make sure to indicate whether an issue needs immediate attention or can wait as I know he is so good to deal with everything even when he is out of office.

Go Sens Go!!  What a game last night, woo hoo!!  Did you see the news that Jacques Martin has been hired by the Sens as an advisor?

7 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

Go Sens Go!!  What a game last night, woo hoo!!  Did you see the news that Jacques Martin has been hired by the Sens as an advisor?

Hopefully Martin can help bring a stop to the boys' early golf seasons! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 8:25 AM, Atlantic Girl said:

We went on our first Azamara cruise last December and loved it so much that we have booked several more. Unfortunately Azamara has consistently has had so many glitches in their new IT system that I have had to call our big box Travel Agency many times to intervene. Although I can get a different agent every time, it doesn’t affect their ability to fix the problems. Every agent has used the approach of all of us being on a conference call and resolving every issue together , while documenting every last detail for future reference. I could not ask for better service than I have received from this travel agency. The shop cards are such a bonus, especially since you can use them for online shopping. 

One of the benefits of dealing with the big box TA is the fact that their agent's aren't commissioned, so anyone you speak with is just as invested and will take as much time as needed to get things straightened out for you as the one that took the original booking.

I've dealt with other TAs over the years and I shudder at having to deal with an agent's backup because I've found that the best I ever got was the bare minimum since they weren't getting anything for their efforts.

Plus, I once had one TA tell me that she wasn't interested in getting me the best bang for my buck because it would reduce her commission. That was the last time I dealt with her or that agency. No, they haven't gone belly up but I vote with my money and between business and personal travel I've spent well over $500k over the decade since that call.

Edited by cdn_tbird
  • Like 1

The TA we use, if we cannot use the big box TA I think we have only spoken to once on the phone.  We do all by email.

She has it made with us as clients, because like this past Friday, we decided to take a cruise leaving on December 23rd, called the cruise line, made all the arrangements, booked our shore excursions, and paid the entire thing on the spot.

As soon as the invoice arrived from the cruise line in my email I shot it over to our TA and asked her to pick up the booking which she did within a few hours and we have OBC and rebate cheques coming.

Done and dusted.