Ketchikan: Before and After Excursion

Generator515

Thanks for the prior help and settling my kids and I on the Bering Sea Crab adventure.

Princess just changed the time from 10AM to noon through 3 and our ship is in port 10A-6P. Would like to more fully utilize the time in port so wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do (other excursions, walks, etc) that we might be able to do before and/or after the crab tour. 

Thanks in advance. 

On 12/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, Generator515 said:

anyone had any suggestions on things to do (other excursions, walks, etc) that we might be able to do before and/or after the crab tour. 

As you didn't give the ages of your kids they could be anywhere between 4 and 44, but you could consider visiting either Totem Bight or Saxman Park.  Both are easy to DIY, inexpensive, and you can decide yourselves how much or how little time to spend at either (I think you might struggle to fit in both if you want a quality experience) We didn't visit Saxman but did visit Totem Bight and enjoyed that a lot.

Info, reviews and images can be easily found online, but there are also a number of past threads and posts and reading some might help you decide.  Here they are:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=totem bight&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=33

Or, if a first visit to Ketchikan, you might enjoy simply exploring the town on foot, again very easy to do and you can once again decide how much time to spend there.  Likely many hundreds of previous threads about Ketchikan, you only need SEARCH for them.

Edited by edinburgher

If your kids are on the younger side, they might enjoy the Lumberjack Show in town - very close to the cruise port and you can buy tickets on the spot - or walk up a few blocks to Creek Street.  Keep in mind, that it rains a lot of Ketchikan, so keep all options open based on Mother Nature.

Creek Street is pretty to walk around. There are a few shops here, only one I like going in but I always like walking around Creek Street. Ketchikan is my least favorite port but for a first timer, it is scenic to walk around and easy to navigate.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Creek Street is pretty to walk around. There are a few shops here, only one I like going in but I always like walking around Creek Street. Ketchikan is my least favorite port but for a first timer, it is scenic to walk around and easy to navigate.

Unfortunately SoHo Coho, my favorite shop with the amazing Ray Troll tee shirts, has closed down. 😩

29 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Unfortunately SoHo Coho, my favorite shop with the amazing Ray Troll tee shirts, has closed down. 😩

I like Sam McGee's but it has been a long time since I actually bought anything there.

There really are not many stores there. Though not much of a shopper, more scenic to walk around.

Ketchikan is always my least favorite port but I understand it looks cool for first time visitors.