Panama Canal in Dec 2024?

KittenSprink

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, looking for some advice and insight. I'm trying to book a Panama Canal cruise for my whole family (8-11 members, depending on who's able to come) and we're looking at Christmas break 2024. Looking at the available cruises at the moment, there are only 2 sailings that fit our very rigid time frame. Is it possible more cruises will be added?

Also, when a stateroom says it can accommodate up to 4 people, is that only 2 adults and 2 children? Do children generally cost the same as adults?

We're considering a balcony room for my parents, but interior rooms for the rest of us. Are there areas on the ship where interior rooms are next to balcony rooms? We'd like everyone's rooms to be as close as possible.

Thanks for any information you can give me!! 🙂

~Kit

No, the scheduling is already done.

Occupancy varies by the cabin. Sometimes it's 4 adults,  but more typically it's 2 adults and 2 children. And the cost also varies by cruise line. Sometimes kids under a certain age are free. Sometimes the price is significantly reduced. I doubt additional adults get any reduced price.

Room alignments also vary by ship, but typically insides are just that, no windows, inside the ship. Not next to balcony cabins. So, at best, across the hall.

When I went back to search again this morning, the cheaper one I had found last night seems to be gone. Anyway, our best bet is this one - Celebrity Beyond. It fits within our window of time. I suspect it will be too expensive for some members, however, especially if we want to pitch in for Veranda or Concierge class for my parents. We'll be flying down from Toronto as well, so we have to figure that into the cost, and hooo boy, are Christmas flights ever expensive. 

I'm thinking we should consider other Caribbean cruises to open up our options, especially when our timing is so limited.

Thanks for the answers to my other questions! It sounds like I should talk to a TA who's knowledgeable about cruises.

~Kit

31 minutes ago, KittenSprink said:

When I went back to search again this morning, the cheaper one I had found last night seems to be gone.

Found it - it's this one on the Carnival Legend, but it leaves the very first day of our holidays, so it would be quite a rush to get there on time. We don't like rushing. My family has no hustle. 😆

You are looking at an apple, and an orange.  Carnival Legend will transit the old locks, linger on Gatun Lake and return back out of the same locks. No excursions will be offered.  The Beyond will transit the new locks to Gatun Lake and linger while tendering off those taking excursions.  Sanhedrin will then return by the same locks and dock in Colon to retrieve those from excursions.  
  There are also big differences in the ships.  Legend is much smaller and has traditional balconies.  There are very few traditional balconies on Beyond.  She has what are called Infinite  verandah cabins.  Some like, some hate.  They have a floor to ceiling window where the upper portion is lowered to create the balcony.  Read about them on the Celebrity board.  EM