First cruise...check in time?

wallflower07

Our first cruise is fast approaching and we're getting very excited! But, I do have a slightly foolish question.

Say the "check-in time" that we've been emailed is 2:40pm and the cruise departs at 4pm.

Are these local time or ship time? Does 2:40pm really mean 2:40pm or should we get there a bit earlier?

33 minutes ago, wallflower07 said:

Are these local time or ship time? Does 2:40pm really mean 2:40pm or should we get there a bit earlier?

Local time will be ship's time at embarcation port. What port will you be at? (This info will let people with experience there pipe up.) 

Edited by crystalspin

We never go by the check-in time-on our last 3 HAL cruises ( 2 in FLL and 1 in Barcelona ) we were through security, in the terminal and in our room by 1PM so I say get there as soon as you want plus since this is your first one it's exciting just being at the port.

Check in is different than boarding. I haven't heard of anyone lately being stopped from checking in early (through security). They did during first reopening out of precaution and don't know, with any rise in positive cases in AUS, if things will change. 

The ship usually boards around 11:30-12:00 so everyone that checks in earlier is put in a waiting area, priory boarding in one place and everyone else another until they board, either by a number you get or otherwise. So getting there early and going through security may or may not get you onboard earlier, depending on how they are doing it at each port (and cruise). 

Thanks, so if the ship usually boards around midday - 1pm and we don't check in until 2.40pm we might be cutting it a bit fine? It sounded kind of late to me given I've heard you should be back on the boat at least an hour before departure at each port and I wasn't sure how long the check in process takes

1 hour ago, wallflower07 said:

Thanks, so if the ship usually boards around midday - 1pm and we don't check in until 2.40pm we might be cutting it a bit fine? It sounded kind of late to me given I've heard you should be back on the boat at least an hour before departure at each port and I wasn't sure how long the check in process takes

We cruised with HAL on the Noordam in March this year from the White Bay cruise terminal. Our check in time was around the same time but we arrived at the ship at around 1pm & were onboard within 20 minutes. Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1