Midnight Mass

Tradestock

We have attended a midnight mass on a HAL ship. I assume if it says Mass, that is what it will be as there are priests on most all HAL cruises. There may also be an interdenominational service as I've seen them frequently listed also, but not necessarily for Christmas Eve.

I checked the Daily Programmes from my LIVE thread last year.  Midnight Mass was midnight Christmas Eve (technically Christmas since it was midnight).  It was a Catholic Mass.

The Interdenominational Service was Christmas Day.  No guarantees it will be the same of course, but I suspect it is likely

11 hours ago, kazu said:

The Interdenominational Service was Christmas Day.  No guarantees it will be the same of course, but I suspect it is likely

Not "the same." Unless someone from among the pax steps forward, like Reverend Neal, the interdenominational service will be led by the Catholic priest who will be serving as chaplain for the voyage. He (sigh!) will likely use the same set of Scripture readings and preach the same homily as at Midnight Mass, but don't expect the service to include eucharistic communion.

I'd also wager that the singing will be better and more robust at the interdenominational service.😉

27 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Not "the same." Unless someone from among the pax steps forward, like Reverend Neal, the interdenominational service will be led by the Catholic priest who will be serving as chaplain for the voyage. He (sigh!) will likely use the same set of Scripture readings and preach the same homily as at Midnight Mass, but don't expect the service to include eucharistic communion.

I'd also wager that the singing will be better and more robust at the interdenominational service.😉

My “same” referred to the timing of the services versus last year - not the same type of religious service.  Having attended both Catholic and Protestant services, I am well aware of the differences.

Last year’s was done by the congregation (as the programme attests to).

The priest did not lead the worship IIRC.  I know it can happen at times, but it very much depends on the priest, I think.  All the cruises I have been on post covid have been led by the congregation for the interdenominational services.  Often a lay person who acts as an elder/other such position in their own church can step forward to lead the service.

i think it very much depends on the ship and who is serving on board in the religious role.